Rabbit Braised in Milk

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ramblingrabbit

Reaction score
I just put this in the "recipes" thread under meat rabbits also, but it probably makes more sense to post it here... I originally got the inspiration for this from Michael Pollan's book Cooked.

It's an elegantly simple, easy, one-pot meal, with only a few ingredients, that you can put together in the morning or at lunchtime and serve for dinner. Yet it has delightfully complex, nuanced, well-balanced flavors. And it's even better leftover.

Rabbit Braised in Milk (based on an old Italian preparation common for pork)

1 rabbit
a few tablespoons of butter
fresh whole milk, enough to partially cover the meat while it cooks
3-6 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
1 bouquet garni, or a few whole sprigs of some combination of fresh parsley, thyme, rosemary and sage
Juice from 1 lemon
Several slices of lemon rind
Salt and pepper

Cut rabbit into pieces (bone in). Heat butter in a large pan or pot and brown meat. Add milk, deglaze if necessary, and add garlic, bouquet garni, lemon juice, and lemon rind, and season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook on a very low simmer for at least 3 hours, or longer, until meat comes off the bone easily--stirring occasionally and making sure the curdled milk doesn't burn.

This sounds intriguing! I wonder if it would do well in the slow cooker/crock pot? That's where I cook everything that is supposed to be on a low simmer for hours on end.

Thanks for sharing!

Crock pot should work. If it's a good one that actually has a really low setting... You still may want to stir from time to time to keep the milk solids from sticking and burning.

My junk crockpot gets too hot if left for a long time, it tends to boil everything eventually. So I can't use it for stock, or for something like this... :?

Latest posts

Back