Grrrr... mice.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OwnedByTheBuns

Reaction score
Hi, first post here right now. I raise French Lops but don't show due to danger of bringing illnesses home.

Anyway, to my problem. I have mice that walk into my rabbits cages... not too worried since my rabbits could eat 10 mice for dinner, but what happens if someone gets bitten? Chances of that happening? :x

Mice can spread disease, eat kits, eat a ton of your rabbit feed. So, I would start setting traps and hide you feed.

Mice can be nasty little things...I'd set some traps or make a deterrent. You never know what they might do, and a bite from a wild rodent can easily get infected. :x Do you have a cat?

I knew I had SOME mice back at the house I was renting, but never knew it was as bad as it was...I kept my rabbitry in the basement there. Well, we had a temporary kitty (rescued a starving stray, had her spayed and while feeding her up to a good weight, had to look for a permanent home for her) and since our housecats were not keen on a visitor, we let her roam loose in the basement (the housecats were never allowed down there).

WELL. She was down there a total of 4 hours before the MASS EXODUS of mice fleeing the basement reached the main floor. :x It was awful. Mice everywhere. The housecats were overjoyed. Even my mentally challenged, brain-damaged rescue Persian caught some! It was disgusting, dead mice everywhere, live mice bolting all over the place...yeah not fun times. That was ONE thing I was HAPPY to leave behind when I moved!!!!

The mice never bit my rabbits but they did spoil a lot of feed. :( I wouldn't trust them not to bite, though...

Also, welcome to the forum!!!!! :D

Are chickens an option? Chickens loooooovvvveee mice. =)

Definitely hide the feed. Metal trash cans to store it. Not sure how you prevent in the cage. The rabbits will always drop some and the mice can still get in. That's like free feed for them.

How do rabbits do with peppermint/spearmint? Mice hate it. Perhaps spray that all over the place. Hang some dried from the cages.

Glue traps, snap traps...can you tell we had a mouse problem over the winter?

Well, the problem is that I have 3 cats in my barn. The rabbits have a whole stall to themselves and don't live in cages. Colony set-up. So I have 9 babies and 2 adults running around, with my buck seperate from the ladies. I put crushed mint in the corner, but I can't use anything that might trap rabbits, too. Also, my rabbits would fling the guts out of my kitties so the cats are not allowed in the stalls.

I have only seen two mice in the past month.

__________ Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:15 pm __________

And in the next 28 days I will have a doe kindling so I would like to solve this problem before then.

Thanks for the welcome, btw!<br /><br />__________ Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:16 pm __________<br /><br />The mice I have seen were smaller than the kits that are born here. Just saying.

You need to keep the mice out of the pen. How are they getting in? Seal that up. It must be covered if it keeps the cats out. How's it covered?

You don't want it in the corner, you want it on mouse highways. All the crevices, along the base of the wall, etc. I took a 1.5 ounce bottle of food grade peppermint oil and mixed it with water in a spray bottle. Every time I cleaned my kitchen, I sprayed EVERYTHING with it.

Mice come out at night, mainly, my chickens may play with a mouse if it dares show up during the day. But that is very rare, never had one eat a mouse unless it was real small... =/
I have mice in the house, hate the things. I have reusable snap traps set all over the house...

And this is how you set traps, add grain/pellets to the peanut butter, too.
943325_581801931853319_2110903034_n.jpg

I have not had issues of mice hurting kits, or eating rabbit pellets but they do like the extra grain I give my does and I find their droppings in the feeders and nest boxes and would like to keep their numbers low.

I prefer to use the sticky traps as our mice are tiny things not much larger than a thumb and they can clean out a snap trap without setting it off.

I buy the large rat size ones and one night I caught 6 on one sheet!

Each morning i check the traps and if there is a stuck mouse I snap their necks, peel them off and re-use the trap, sometimes for months. I wash it with soap and hot water once a week to help keep it sticky longer.

Thanks everyone! I haven't seen a mouse ever since I posted this. All I did was put smushed mint wrapped about 3 times in netting and hid it where the rabbits couldn't go.

:welcomewagon:

I would put traps outside of the stall along the walls. Also, you might like to try the "killer cupcake recipe" in this thread:

any-idea-on-how-fast-they-die-t10410.html

And yes, I do believe the mice will bite the rabbits- at least that was my eventual conclusion when I found two young does with the skin of their toes removed like the fingers from a glove:

injured-does-pics-533-8kb-total-t4995.html

Pellet gun :p I got one that was sneaking up to steal the pet squirrel's BOSS ... got him in one and the cat had a snack. Now, hopefully he will get the idea and clear them out of the detached garage. All food other than what is served is in galvanized trash cans with tight fitting lids! Mice carry Hanta Virus among other things ... and mites from mice can get your rabbits.

Ooooh... I have mice, too. My rabbits are in a colony, so I don't know what to do!
Is there a market for organically fed mice? :x They're eating a fair amount of pellets!

I may have to stick everyone in cages while I let my cats go at it. I've got awesome mouser cats....

Zinnia

Back