Recipes!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow! Love this thread! We have been doing 'chicken' noodle soup with the rabbit meat. but am really excited to try some of these!

We are having rabbit noodle soup tonight!! One of my favorite ways!!

Just use a chicken soup recipe.

Tom E's recipe sounds very good....will have to try that one for sure!!

Chicken Fried Rabbit
(sorry I don't have definate amounts, I usually just wing it)

The night before, cut the meat up into the appropriate sizes and marinate overnight in enough buttermilk to cover. I use a zip bag and place it in a bowl in case of leaks. I add seasonings, salt, pepper, poultry seasoning, onion powder and garlic powder. The acid in the buttermilk helps to tenderize the meat.

A couple hours before dinner, drain the buttermilk from the meat.
In a bowl put flour and add what seasonings you like, and here's the magic, ranch powder to taste. I taste the flour mixture to make sure it's not too salty. It's easy to fix, just add more flour.

Dredge the meat in the flour and place it on a cooling rack to rest. This is a very important step. It helps the coating adhere to the meat so it doesn't fall off during cooking. It should rest for at least 45 minutes. At this point in time I allow the meat to come up to room temperature. I believe this helps the meat cook all the way. (you can do the resting in the fridge if you are uncomfortable with the room temp rest)

I use a frying blend oil and a deep chicken fryer cast iron pan. It's important to have the oil hot enough that the moisture bubbling out from the meat keeps the oil from flowing in. Keeps the meat from being greasy. I also have an instant read thermometer handy to check the parts with the bone still in them. I cooked to 170 but I'm not sure what the recommended temp is. The nugget sized pieces worried me less and I cooked them til they were golden brown and delicious.

This was DH's first rabbit meal, and the meat came out tender in spite of me freezing the rabbit before it came out of rigor. I thank the buttermilk for that.
Enjoy!

"Green" Rabbit Casserole:

Okay odd name, but thank the grand kids for that one. You need 2 rabbits, cut into pieces as for frying. Some flour seasoned with salt and pepper, a skillet and a bit of oil. 2 cans of cream of mushroom soup, 1 soup can of milk. a few pats of butter, some french fired onions.

Lightly dredge the rabbit in flour. Sear to golden brown in the oil, in the skillet. Arrange the browned rabbit in a baking dish, mix the soup and milk then pour that over the rabbit. Top with crispy onions. Bake at 350 for 1 hour to 1.5 hours. "Green" Rabbit Casserole (a rip on Green Bean Casserole, you just replaced the green beans with browned rabbit)

This is a huge favorite at our house:

Rabbit Braised in Milk (based on an old Italian preparation common for pork)

1 rabbit
a few tablespoons of butter
fresh whole milk, enough to partially cover the meat while it cooks
3-6 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
1 bouquet garni, or a few whole sprigs of some combination of fresh parsley, thyme, rosemary and sage
Juice from 1 lemon
Several slices of lemon rind
Salt and pepper

Cut rabbit into pieces (bone in). Heat butter in a large pan or pot and brown meat. Add milk, deglaze if necessary, and add garlic, bouquet garni, lemon juice, and lemon rind, and season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook on a very low simmer for at least 3 hours, or longer, until meat comes off the bone easily--stirring occasionally and making sure the curdled milk doesn't burn.

Truckinguy":x0dakl6f said:
Any suggestions on how to cook up the organs... heart, kidneys, liver?

I give the heart and kidneys to my chickens while I'm processing the bunnies.

Liver: Pate! This is my *favorite* recipe:

Chicken Faux Gras
Diary of a Foodie: Season One: Contraband Cuisine
Serves12 (first course)

Active Time:45 min
Start to Finish:4 3/4 hr (includes cooling)

January 2007

ADAPTED FROM HAPPY IN THE KITCHEN BY MICHEL RICHARD

For Mousse

1 cup finely chopped onion (1 medium)
2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, softened
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 pound chicken livers, trimmed
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

For Parsley Gelée

1 seedless cucumber (usually plastic-wrapped)
1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon sugar
1 to 2 drops Tabasco sauce
2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley

Special equipment:
4 (8-oz) ovenproof ramekins
Accompaniment:
crackers or baguette slices

Make mousse:

Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 300ºF.
Cook onion in 2 tablespoons butter in a small heavy saucepan over moderately low heat, covered, stirring occasionally, until translucent, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in garlic and cream and simmer, covered, until onion is tender, about 6 minutes.
Remove from heat and stir in remaining 1 3/4 sticks butter, then return to heat and stir until butter is melted and mixture is combined.
Purée livers with onion mixture, sea salt, and pepper in a blender, scraping down sides as necessary, until smooth. Force mixture through a fine-mesh sieve into a large measuring cup. Bring a teakettle full of water to a boil.
Evenly space ramekins in a 13- by 9-inch roasting pan. Divide liver mixture among ramekins, then cover each ramekin with foil and place roasting pan in oven. Pour enough boiling water into pan to fill pan halfway. Bake until mousse is just set, about 30 minutes. Remove foil and transfer ramekins to a rack to cool to room temperature, about 1 hour, then chill mousse, covered, at least 3 hours.

Prepare gelée once mousse is cold:

Chop half of cucumber and reserve remainder for another use. Purée chopped cucumber in a food processor until liquefied. Pour through a fine-mesh sieve into a liquid measuring cup (You should have 1/2 cup cucumber water. If not, chop and purée more cucumber.)
Sprinkle gelatin over 1/4 cup cucumber water in a small saucepan and let stand 1 minute to allow gelatin to soften. Heat gelatin mixture over low heat, swirling pan, until gelatin is liquefied, then remove from heat and stir in lemon juice, sugar, Tabasco (to taste), parsley, and remaining 1/4 cup cucumber water until sugar is dissolved.
Cool gelée 5 minutes, then spoon about 2 tablespoons over each mousse. Chill until gelée is set, about 1 hour.
Bring mousse to room temperature, about 30 minutes, before serving.

Cooks' note: Baked mousse with gelée can be chilled up to 3 days.

JulieCunicole":2n2ylr9o said:
Truckinguy":2n2ylr9o said:
Any suggestions on how to cook up the organs... heart, kidneys, liver?

I give the heart and kidneys to my chickens while I'm processing the bunnies.

:shock: Aaaah, nooooooo! :lol:

The organs of the rabbits are actually quite prized in our house. Liver, kidneys, and heart--we usually chop and saute them up quickly in butter with some caramelized onions, some herbs like rosemary, thyme, parsley, and some salt and lots of pepper. Great with hot buttered toast!

I consider rabbit kind of like "organ meats, lite." They are tender and have a wonderful, mild flavor, that is similar to but not as strong as, say, pork liver or kidneys.

And of course the organ meats are in many ways the most nutritious part of an animal. It's really a shame more people these days don't give 'em a chance IMO. :)

Definitely prized bits here too, especially the livers. When we butcher here, I set the deep fryer to heating up before going out to kill rabbits. I know we are going to want breaded and fried livers ASAP. That is a butcher day treat around here.

I dip the livers in seasoned (salt, pepper, onion and, garlic powder) flour, into buttermilk or and egg wash if I am out of buttermilk the, in Panko break crumbs ad fry them golden brown.

Heats we save up for stew making and kidney's for pot pies or to add to pork, chicken and beef offal for making scrapple which we love as well.

To the ones that cook and eat rabbit frequently. I was going to plant a small herb garden and would like to know some that are best or more frequently seen in rabbit recipes. Cilantro is one that we use a lot. Mint and a few of the basic herbs are on the list as well.

We use a lot of thyme in our rabbit. We grow 8-10 basil plants too. We season the rabbits from the inside out. :twisted: They really like it and we dehydrate what they don't get.

Homer":192uegkk said:
We use a lot of thyme in our rabbit. We grow 8-10 basil plants too. We season the rabbits from the inside out. :twisted: They really like it and we dehydrate what they don't get.
Well, don't forget the outside! Galadriel and Bunny-Wan Kenobi pulled some basil leaves, put them in the slicker brush, and brushed Thumper. Wow, did he smell good after that! :chef:

image.php

Miss M":2mzl1irw said:
Well, don't forget the outside! Galadriel and Bunny-Wan Kenobi pulled some basil leaves, put them in the slicker brush, and brushed Thumper. Wow, did he smell good after that! :chef:
:slap: Well bring it on! :dinner: :lol:

wamplercathy":39j9xrll said:
To the ones that cook and eat rabbit frequently. I was going to plant a small herb garden and would like to know some that are best or more frequently seen in rabbit recipes. Cilantro is one that we use a lot. Mint and a few of the basic herbs are on the list as well.

Last summer when I had fresh herbs and we were cooking our first rabbits, I used tarragon and lemon balm together and we liked it. Also have used thyme and rosemary together along with parsley--as I would for chicken.
Tonight I baked rabbit pieces that I coated with a mix of bread crumbs, applesauce, minced onion and lard. I've done that before and we liked it, but tonight I added chopped fennel seed and it was very tasty.

Some pictures would "kick this thread up a notch". :p :lol: :lol: :lol: <br /><br /> __________ Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:43 pm __________ <br /><br /> We were planning on having roast rabbit for Easter dinner, but we are now thinking a sandwich buffet. That way we can actually spend time out of the kitchen. :p So I have this killer recipes for pulled pork and was wondering if a pork recipes would be good on rabbit?

Key ingredients are:
Brown Sugar
Season Salt
Cumin
Pepper
Cajun(depending on how we're feeling)
Pineapple juice

What's yall's thoughts. :popcorn:

Sagebrush":169yohe0 said:
Sounds kinda like a "Sloppy Hoppy" to me :p

Kind of. The juices are drained off when done. Place on bun and add your choice of BBQ sauce and other toppings.

pulling-the-pork-1024x685 (400x268).jpg

I'll post of pics after Easter. :p :lol:

What I have done to make Sloppy Hoppy sandwiches is to put the rabbit (tend to use a roaster rabbit for this) in the crock pot overnight, minimal water that is seasoned already. Cook on low. Once meat is fall of the bone tender I debone and shred, use forkes!! I then add in the sauce of choice, cooking for another hour on low. Serve on toasted buns and it is a happy night. I tend to serve them with either fresh sauteed squash or french fries, whatever the kids want that night.

Back