French Angora culls - meat and pelt?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zinnia

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure if this is a good place to post this question... I have French Angoras rabbits and I want to think of the most cost effective, useful and humane way to deal with those I don't wish to keep.

Going into this I thought I might raise the culls for eating, and I may still do that. I have a use for wool, ears and feet for art, but will the pelt be useful at all? I don't mind if it's not perfect... I am imagining lining hats or mittens. But will the skin be too thin and hair be too long to really be worth tanning?

I need ideas for these culls to be economical - preferably without relying on selling them. I hate selling.

Zinnia <br /><br /> __________ Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:59 pm __________ <br /><br /> ....the wool would be harvested and guard hairs left....can't imagine the guard hairs felting like the wool felts....

The hides will be thinner than in a mature animal but it can be done.

I use my small or damaged ones for furry dog treat raw hides :) I usually cut them into strips and braid them so they don't get swallowed whole or devoured too quickly.

You could trim the fur to a more manageable length or a well plucked angora hide would probably be even better for rawhide treats as you won't get bits of fur around the house.

Do tanned Angora or Fizzy Lop hides keep their fur? I have some lops that have good meat but the fur are matted. Would tanned hides also develop mats with use?

Tanned angora keeps it's fur, but wool definitely mats with heat, moisture, and friction.

If they are old enough to harvest then the pelts should be thick enough to tan.
But, a freshly plucked rabbit might not make that nice of a pelt. It's a tossup.

I only did the one pluckable rabbit I have. A month after plucking, I culled her and pickled the pelt. No matting.

Attachments

• 10387569_1046095752082647_382280603788089890_n.jpg
    10387569_1046095752082647_382280603788089890_n.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 1,336

Latest posts

Back