Rabbit Genotypes list

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks-- it is a bit confusing , and has never happened in all my years of rabbits-- before this-- "white" on "white" always made "all white"-- Oh-WELL -- they are "pretty" and I just can't help but keep a few to see what they "do"- the "mom" had and weened 10 the last 3 litters, so they can't be all bad-- but the Black does are a little smaller and more compact then the others in the litter.

It sounds like the does are BEW but genetically are chinchilla which can muddy the blue eyes and make them more greyish, if you get REW in the litters as well then they carry this gene too.

The Vienna gene is fairly new and not very common in large rabbits so I'm not surpsed they are smaller than you're New Zealand's as they probably have smaller breeds in their ancestry.

Individual rabbits can only have one father as the egg will only accept one sperm, less then 1% of the time two sperm can penetrate an egg but the embryo dies within a few hours.

A litter can have several fathers, so kits born at the same time will be half siblings on their moms side.

There is also the white-ear mutation, discovered in germany. They are becoming very popular and more common here in the Netherlands. The gene is mostly bred in loffelohr (spoon ear) dwarfs, holland lop and french lops too. What would this gene be called in the US and the loci it is found on? Or will it not since they are non existent in the US?

I believe it inherites co-dominant (incomplete dominant?) Out of a WE and a normal parent you get 50% with the gene. The gene is not carried, it shows when its present. But i dont know how it expresses when the gene is double (homozygous).

1493331_811280208886352_1811830495_o.jpg

This buck has 2 white genes.. Vienna and the White ear combined.
10172602_847026871978352_8708296692970915547_n.jpg

10167951_845457365468636_4953876222514945714_n.jpg

10338702_845457225468650_7415150064722333030_n.jpg

A white ear lutino.. very rare genetic makeup
lordneu.JPG

wp40754cb1_05.jpg

kendra.jpg

We dont have white ear or spoon ear over here so I am not familiar with the genetics :)

Only recently has the pink eye / lutino gene shown up in rabbits and understand it mostly from my experiences in breeding mice.

Nope :)

A self chinchilla can have startling blue eyes as kits but mine always get darker as adults.

Do you have any information on the colour of parents, siblings or offspring?

Is there any white spots on the rabbit anywhere?

Alright, as far as I know the Vienna gene, which creates blue eyes, is not in angoras so I would say you have a black kit with grey eyes who may be chinchilla :)

If your keeping him then breeding him to a red eyed white or himilayan would solve the puzzle

Dood":mua4ghcj said:
Alright, as far as I know the Vienna gene, which creates blue eyes, is not in angoras so I would say you have a black kit with grey eyes who may be chinchilla :)

If your keeping him then breeding him to a red eyed white or himilayan would solve the puzzle

BEW is an accepted Angora color.

Dood":1xfm0iv1 said:
P-Locus
P _ = wild type
pp = pink eyed. Very newly discovered mutation and I don't know of anyone working with it in North America. Mutation that modifies the concentrations of the two pigments in fur and eyes. Same mutation seen in Mice, Rats, Gerbils, Guinea Pigs and Hamsters.

I just found someone in the U.S. working with the p locus! The p locus is also known as the Lutino gene, and there is a judge in California who is working on getting it recognized by the ARBA for the Netherland Dwarf breed. He will hopefully apply for a Certificate of Development soon. :D

Latest posts

Back