Just how 'genetic' is temperament?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update on the Cal buck. He is NOT a monster like his grand sire. And his mother has calmed down a lot. So I dodged the temperament bullet on that one.

i know you've probably made up your mind... but I have to say.. I don't make temperament decisions on four month old does.

They are just maturing and learning to deal with hormones.
What I will do with them is pull them out, divide at most to two per cage and just watch 'em. I'll breed them as soon as they've settled and see how they go.

Many meat rabbits can be bred at four-five months old, so I'd breed them early with a back up doe and then see how they end up mothering and settling in their personalities.

I agree, 4 months is the rebellious teen stage for rabbits, let them mature another few months and see if they settle down. Some are very territorial and will be fine housed alone. My Sassy is tolerant of humans until you try to handle her, then prepare for a fight. I can handle her no problem but wouldn't wish that girl on anyone else. However, she is an excellent mother and, my Buck, Sylver is a love bug, the two of them make nice, big, even tempered, easy to handle if not always love bug kits so, she stays.

I have a miserable young doe too, which sucks because it took months to find her. I seem to have to travel to find chinchilla satins. :-/

I don't know how it'll all work out, but I'm going to try giving her larger quarters so she doesn't feel cornered, and fix her up with my laid-back young buck. I'm hoping to make friends with her while the "love hormones" are surging through her, lol. If all else fails, maybe she'll give me some doe kits with dads "meh. Whatever" temperament.

Back