What little critter ......

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhoenixFarm

Reaction score
....reproduces faster than my rabbits ever even thought of?

Mice? Nope.

Rats? Nope.

Mosquitos? Nope.

How about......

SNAILS!!!

I found 20 of them, all different sizes, on the dog biscuit chunk this morning!!!

They can be helpful in aquariums and good pickings for larger fish but I've found them to become more of a pest with small fish because they reproduce so quickly. All it takes is one dead one to foul the water so they have their pros and cons.

To be honest I don't think snails even NEED a partner to reproduce!!! When I moved my aquarium I cleaned it out and got rid of every snail on every piece of equipment or rock and so forth, I scrubbed every last egg off of everything... THEN my mother came across a dried up snail in the sink.. and thought she would save it and put it back!! WELL!! Few weeks later it was welcome to snail city again! A good thriving aquarium doesn't really need snails in it though at one time it was thought of as being a "balanced aquarium".

Devon's Mom Lauren":1vkcbzjq said:
When I moved my aquarium I cleaned it out and got rid of every snail on every piece of equipment or rock and so forth, I scrubbed every last egg off of everything... THEN my mother came across a dried up snail in the sink.. and thought she would save it and put it back!! WELL!! Few weeks later it was welcome to snail city again! A good thriving aquarium doesn't really need snails in it though at one time it was thought of as being a "balanced aquarium".
In Nature, snails are not in every pool of water, so yeah, they probably are not necessary. There are no fish in my tanks, the tanks are for some aquatic plants. I found I really like 'wetland' and stream plants.
Now today, I think I see daphnia swimming about. I need to find my wet slides and try to capture one and ID the thing for sure. I also want to order some planaria-- cute little flatworms!!!

Devon's Mom Lauren":2nzyga03 said:
You should get some of those "Sea Monkeys" lol They are interesting things to watch lol
Sea Monkeys are a type of shrimp, if I remember correctly. Dang, you've given me something else to look up!!!
Anyway- yes, some snails can have 'babies' without a mate-but- they are not hermaphroditic. And I found out where my Daphnia probablycame from-- those little stinkerswere probably glued to the river rocks I bought from WallyWorld, and have now been under water long enough for them to 'wake up' and hatch out. Its nice to know my little tank is balanced-- daphnia are an indicator species..

We had fairy shrimp that would appear in the retention pond behind our apartment in FL when it stayed watery long enough. Pretty cool little things! :)

Back