Mousse de foie de lapin

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Southbound_SF

Reaction score
Oh hot damn, this is some good stuff. I used the recipe "Mousse de foie de volaille" (Chicken liver mousse) from the first volume of Mastering the Art of French Cooking, and it is FANTASTIC. Basically, you sautee nice things and livers and blend them up with cream and spices. More-or-less recipe follows. Even if you think you don't like liver, maybe try this instead of throwing them to the dogs (or - gasp! - the trash). Totally different than plain liver'n'onions, and tastes so decadent with little effort.

First, finely chop some shallots (or onion, or green onions). You want a couple of tablespoons worth. The recipe says to mince it, but you're putting it in a blender anyway, so why try that hard? I added a clove of garlic here, too. Melt a couple of tablespoons of butter and begin sauteeing over medium-low heat.

Meanwhile, cut your livers into 1/2-1" pieces. You want about 2 cups, or 1 lb. I had soaked mine for a few days (ok, like a week) in milk, but this is totally optional since rabbit liver is so mild. Probably turn the heat up a little here. Toss those livers in with the shallots & continue cooking until they are firmed up but still rosy in the middle. I lean a little to the more raw side, though it's a matter of choice. But don't overcook! I think the strong, unpleasant "livery" flavor you think of comes from overcooking.

Now, scrape all that into your blender. Pour 1/3 c cognac or madeira or whatever booze you like into the hot pan and reduce it to about 3 tablespoons. Pour that in the blender, too.

Add about 1/4 c cream or half and half, 1 t salt, 1/8 t pepper, 1/8 t allspice, and a pinch of thyme - or more, or less, or different spices. Get creative! Turn the blender on and reduce it all to a smooth paste.

Now melt 1/2 c of butter and add that, too, and blend again, until incorporated. Yes, half a cup. This is French cooking, so don't skimp on the butter! It won't hurt you. Taste, and adjust seasoning if necessary.

That's it; you're done. Put it in whatever kind of container you like and refrigerate or freeze. Eat some warm on bread (I know I couldn't resist). I got 5 quarter pint mason jars out of this, after snacking.

SB

Good to know....especially since I just bought a copy of that same cookbook for $3 a couple of weeks ago.

It's a great cookbook. Sometimes complicated (though not always, as here), but all the little steps & effort are worth it. I think it's the fiddly little bits that make the difference between an ok stew and a fantastic coq au vin or boeuf bourguignon.

SB

Back