Register

Snowy Owl

From vermiculture and selling rabbit manure to rent-a-bunny for Easter photographs, this forum is a place to discuss other ideas for making a profit from rabbits.
10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 34,371.00

Snowy Owl

Post Number:#1  Unread postby ladysown » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:16 pm

So I had a call this morning from a lady looking for live prey for a snowy owl that she is working with.

Apparently she's tried using previously killed prey and the owl is refusing it. Needs to see the prey move before he'll accept it.

I DO NOT know why she has this owl and I won't ask questions about it.

My question is
1. I'm a bit squeamish about sending rabbits off to be hunted by this bird.. are they fast in the kill?
2. Would mice work better perhaps? I don't have an issue with the mice going for such a purpose but the rabbits make me squeamish.
3. I do have a kit here.. less than 1/2 pound in weight who broke his leg who might be an ideal candidate for this bird as he's a weak kit so the kill would be very fast but I don't know what size of animals these birds eat.

Can anyone advise me?

thanks.
ladysown

http://athomepets.weebly.com/
Primary Blog : http://athomepets.weebly.com/at-home-pets-blog.html
Old Blog: blogs/athomepets/

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 1,365.00

Re: Snowy Owl

Post Number:#2  Unread postby BlueMoods » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:45 pm

I don't know about birds, I have a wolfdog that I give chicken and rabbit culls to (provided it isn't because of a communicable disease of course). He is perfectly friendly to healthy animals but, knows a sick or injured one on the ground is his dinner. He's prett efficient, sometimes one squeal before he dispatches a larger rabbit, but he always has it done by the time I walk 100 yards to the house and back out to his run.

I wouldn't give or sell perfectly fit and healthy kits for the owl, that seems a waste of meat that could feed a human in a few weeks but, culls that have to go, sure. I'd sell ehr those and, not think twice since I wouldn't be there to see the bird get the rabbit anyway.

Site Supporter
7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 32,531.00

Re: Snowy Owl

Post Number:#3  Unread postby Dood » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:56 pm

Ummm.... I see two possibilities neither of them good :(

- this person found a sick owl and is trying to re-hab it.
A)They really need to get into the proper hands - I doubt they are qualified as it's nearly impossible to get a re-hab license for a birds of prey and you're in the London area so there are SEVERAL raptor fascilities within a couple hours drive and no reason good reason not to hand it over
B) if it really will only eat live food then they just have to attach a coat hanger or long string to the dead animal (depending on enclosure size) and mimic movement as owls are pretty dumb but notoriously hard to re-hab since they shut down and play possum in captivity - go to A)

- they have a healthy owl hanging around and want to watch (or video) it hunting. Not good for the prey as it will likely escape the yard and starve since owls only have a 20% success rate at the best of times and, of course, there is no guarantee it will hunt "on cue".

Just my 2 cents