Help Please. Matted Rabbit.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, she didn't want any more bunnies. And then we saw the new Beveren, and the face and ears. The entire ride home the Beveren sat in my jacket on her lap, getting petted and loved. The fact that she is already bred is even better. And the best part is we only paid $35 for her, and got the 2 bonus bunnies for free! SCORE!!!!!! :lol:

Fernie":194zj2lh said:
But how could Iturn down the cute Cranky bunny face or her sweet and innocent looking face.
Awww... I look forward to pix! :D <br /><br /> __________ Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:51 pm __________ <br /><br /> Oh wait! I just found the pix! :p

No your face with the new Beveren in your arms. I could not say No. The sad puppy dog look did me in once again. <br /><br /> __________ Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:00 am __________ <br /><br /> those two were sooooooooooooo matted. We still do not have the mats out. Just can't do but so much each day.

The sad puppy dog look, huh? :lol:

Yes, I know other members have had to deal with rabbits matted this badly, and that's how they do it, just a bit every day for a week or two.

At least the really bad areas are freed up some and it's easier for them to move around. Both of them had matted completely up both sides and backs, and I'm sure it was affecting their ability to move around.

Another thing that helps with matts close to the skin - cut the matt in half. It will free up some of the hairs tangled inside the matt and sometimes you can brush it out after you cut it.

I also split mats into strips to make them easier to work out. If the mats are not too tight you can often separate them somewhat with your fingers and then use a slicker brush or comb on them.

I haven't ever used the product on rabbits, and don't know if it is safe if ingested, but BioSilk works great for our horse's manes and tails. I buy the generic version at a Beauty Supply store- but it is still seems pretty pricey stuff at about a dollar an ounce. You use a minute amount though, so it isn't actually that expensive.

We will be checking their ears. Would treating their ears with Olive Oil hurt them any?

I am trying to decide if they should be kept out with the other bunnies or if we should get them set up in the house. I am thinking they need to be house bunnies.

Working on the mats, not much progress since the other day. Thinking we need them to grow out a bit from the skin. This way we can get under them.

Olive oil will work fine. Regular cooking oil works fine too. I just wipe it in the ear with a q-tip. Vasoline works well too. Pretty much any "oil"s will work fine though I wouldn't suggest used motor oil. :?

Keep in mind, matts can twist the skin causing the skin to be taken up into the matt. So when cutting with scissors ONLY cut when you are able to separate the skin from the mat with a comb or something similar.

I am a professional pet groomer, and it took even me a long time to get the matts off of some badly matted angoras I got. Rabbit skin is much more thin than other species I have worked with.

Go slow, have patience, check twice before cutting with scissors or clippers.

No More Tangles, the spray for children/baby hair works wonders. Then a good bath with baby shampoo, the conditioning kind. Just saturate the matted and a little surrounding fur, let it soak in a few minutes, then use a blunt tipped, wide toothed comb to work the mats out. (This is why I no longer raise angoras.)

We were given two rabbits for free. Not sure what breed, but they are long haired and very cute. No names as of yet, but working on it. Major problem I found is their hair is matted. they have some really bad mats on their backs that I are against the skin. I have tried soaking them loose from the skin so I could cut the mats out but that is not working. I have even tried some dawn to help break it up. If I have to shave them they will be completely bald on their backs.

Are there any tricks to getting the mats loose enough to clip them out? I have never dealt with mats this bad before. I have had long haired cats and dogs and never seen mats like this. They are clumps of lumps of matted fur all across their backs.

If the buns are angora, then I'd not recommend any sort of washing to try to get the mats out. That'd likely just make the mats 'set' and be more stubborn to get out, IMHO. I've not tried it, though, so maybe the different lotions and potions will work. Bunnies do lick themselves clean, so some sort of bunny safe lotion or potion would be best if you're gonna try it.

When ours get mats, many of them can be pulled apart with fingers. Just take an edge and see if it can be pulled apart. If that doesn't work, then we clip them out. No need to worry about a naked bun, if they're angoras, they'll be fuzzy again really soon.

Latest posts

Back