What kind of blower should I buy?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olypenrabbiteer

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am looking into buying a blower for my Satin Angoras...currently I brush, which is fine for now, but I am looking to possibly show them soon, and understand that a blower is the way to go to keep all of the coat intact and in the best condition. I have three seniors and they just had two litters of kits (10 total).

So my question is should I really invest in a Metro Blower? Are they the best for the money, or could i get by with a cheaper knock off model? I saw some on ebay, both Metro and knock off variety. Of course there was a significant price difference.

Any advice and help would be greatly appreciated!

:bunnyhop:

I don't have angoras but as a groomer I know a bit about power blowers.

For ocassional use for your angoras I think you could get away with a 'knock off' as long as the power is there. I'd recommend frequent cleaning to keep dust dirt and fur off the internal parts to extend longevity.

I have a canister vacuum I bought from fingerhut about 5 years ago. I hangs out in the barn, not the best of places, and I use it daily in the summer dog show season for the GSDs, and now for the Angoras. I want to say it's 3HP, maybe 4HP, and I only paid $50 for it.

skysthelimit":3n33eo4d said:
I have a canister vacuum I bought from fingerhut about 5 years ago. I hangs out in the barn, not the best of places, and I use it daily in the summer dog show season for the GSDs, and now for the Angoras. I want to say it's 3HP, maybe 4HP, and I only paid $50 for it.

That would work, to get me started at least. I am all about saving money, but I also like investing in quality items that will last for a while. I am going to check on the options for canister vacuums...thanks for the idea. <br /><br /> __________ Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:07 am __________ <br /><br />
Dood":3n33eo4d said:
I don't have angoras but as a groomer I know a bit about power blowers.

For ocassional use for your angoras I think you could get away with a 'knock off' as long as the power is there. I'd recommend frequent cleaning to keep dust dirt and fur off the internal parts to extend longevity.

How much power do you recommend as the min.?

I just checked the Kool-Dry dryers. :shock: Wow. I purchased mine in 1998/1999, when I was grooming my first Bernese Mtn. Dog. I remember paying something like $200 for it brand-new. It's definitely an "investment" kind of purchase, but I've used it not only on my own dogs and cats, but took it to the grooming shops I worked at from 2005 through early 2008 when we had overloads of animals and our shop dryers weren't numerous enough for the animals being groomed.

It still works as well as it did when I first purchased it, 15 or so years ago. The blower speed is dial-driven, so the operator can select the speed s/he wants very specifically: anything from blowing little pieces of lint off of a cat's face to forcing a matted coat off the side of a Collie. The slightest breeze to practically a hurricane, in other words. :)

My two cents' worth.

How much power do you recommend as the min.?
Like I said, I don't have angoras or completely understand the process in "blowing" their dry coats. I would think that a high velocity dryer that goes up to 20,000 FPM would be enough.

I highly recommend a unit with variable speed so you use the least amount of force, and noise, necessary to remove the fur and slowly work your way up instead of staring out at full force.

Variable speed is an added perk. Get it if you can. I've blown JW off the table with 3HP, so I wish I had something less forceful sometimes.

Not that we do any showing, but wouldn't an inexpensive option be to purchase a shop-vac where the hose can connect to the exhaust port and use it exclusively for the buns? Our shop vac is a 10 gallon and was about $40.

Really the answer depends on what you want. Metros work fine. They are the old stand by blower, but they arent the best. If satin angoras is all you will ever do, a cheap canister whatever will work, and you cant beat a metro, but if you ever will get breeds with denser coats, a metro or better quality would be worth it. I sell the K9 Fluffer. They are variable speed, small, compact, quiet and last forever, but as mentioned an investment. They arent cheap. For me the cost was worth it. I have 2-4 dozen adult angoras in coat at all times and any number of growing youngsters in baby coat. I needed top of the line, and variable speed is awesome.

Before I bought my K9 Fluffer, I asked an english angora breeder up here how she liked hers. Her answer is what made my final decision. She said, "if something happened to my fluffer, I would give my left kidney or my first born son the replace it."
Yeah, she really said that.
http://www.angorafiber.com/grooming-blowers.html

Back