New Kits and being a nestbox assistant

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truckinguy

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Well, eight baby rabbits were born about noon today and when I went out to change the water bottle I checked the nest, saw them in there, pulled them out, checked and counted them then put them back in. Morgan was digging around the colony for fresh straw so I started pushing a pile toward the nestbox. She hopped in the nestbox and started shoveling it in between her feet as I pushed more straw toward her. I think she appreciated the help so she didn't have to run around the colony and bring straw back. I sat by the nestbox and watched her pack the nest up tight as the six week old litter played around my feet and nibbled at my boots. Adam chased her around a bit trying to get her in the mood but she would have none of it.

Spending time with the animals can be the most relaxing and enjoyable part of my day.

Congratulations on the new litter!

I can just picture her pulling the straw in! What a good mom. I'm sure she appreciated the help. :D

Seems Morgan is weather-wise as well as a good mom. It's as nasty a night in Southern Ontario as we've seen in a long time. Falling temperatures, wind chill, blowing snow... Hope those kits stay cosy in their nest, Truckinguy!

Aww :) i cant wait until mine are moved into my colony pen. The litter is three wks and they hop around the hutch like its a mansion i cant wait to see them gallumphing across the colony pen :)

Yup, I've pretty much left them alone for now except I stuck my hand down into the nest just to see that they were warm but I didn't pull them out. I'll go out this afternoon to change the straw out as I should have done it this past weekend but didn't get to it. Might be a good excuse to bring the nestbox inside and get some pics!

Latest posts

Back