New bunnies and chewed ears

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil

Reaction score
I just had a doe kindle on saturday so now I have 7 new bunnies, and today was so cold when I went to check on them the the vary top layer of fur had formed ice from the mosture of the babies :p . On another note today I had two rabbits (not ones I am planning on keeping) who had vary badly chewed ears I was wondering if anyone else has had this happen, if so how did you stop it ?

Mina is right that new moms sometimes get a little too intent when cleaning their kits and sometimes chew the ears, feet, or tail.

I have only ever noticed it happening right after they were born, not a couple of days later. If that is what happened to your kits I would remove the box and only take it out to the doe for her to nurse the babies twice a day for the next several days until her hormones settle down.

sorry I wasn't clear, it was another rabbit it the pen not the newborn kits, sorry for the missunderstanding

Ah, the rabbits are in a colony setting, then?

I have had rabbits chew each other's ears in a growout pen. It could be that they are getting old enough to start fighting, or maybe the doe that kindled did it. It would be best to separate them.

If that isn't possible, I would add as many obstacles and hiding places to the pen as you can.

If the rabbits with "chewed ears" are older, then they are getting tired of each other, -- if it was rabbits with a doe, they should be separated from the doe, if it is rabbits in a "grow out" pen, it is usually bucks getting sexually mature that are fighting.
[any-way-- that is how it works at my place]

They are in a colony and I didn't start seeing the chewing until the doe kindled, ill try seperating but I was wondering maybe it could be a lacking in something?

Latest posts

Back