Rex color=otter vs steel

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frosted Rabbits

Reaction score
Okay, one of the boys is colored like his daddy. I can't find the discussion that told me the differnce between otter and steel, It was so long ago, too. Anyway, at thatpoint I had decided that Tucker was a DQ- not enough coloring to be an otter, and even though not recognized, too much to be a steel.

Junior is blue, tannish on his lower jaw, hocks down, fur on underside of his feet.His belly hair has a very dark slate root, and almost white tips. thedark color must be exposed by parting the coat. There are a few stray tannish gaurd hairs on the backs of his haunches. Underside of his tail is white, his triangle is blue--

Rocky is solid blue, so evenly colored all over that it is unbelieveable.

Stony, the mom, was solid blue,a tad bit lighter on her belly.

Thanks, I will put down 'Blue Otter' as the sires and Junior's coloring, but mark it as 'poor' as well. Maybe I'll keep Junior, and see what he can do locally-- but dad did not come with a pedigree, No biggie. I don't plan on showing a lot of mini-rex. Breeding him to a doe withknown color ancestry can show me what stuff dad had hiding, as well.

Here are a few pictures of Blue Otter Mini Rex. The blue otter the body colour is solid but the belly colour is a creme-white with a slate blue under colour, the lacing is fawn and white on blue otters. Otters and Opals are always confused with each other, the ring colour of the body colour of a blue otter is solid blue down to the skin, and opal with have fawn ring colour in the body colour. I can't see Otters and Steels being confused as a steel is a solid coloured rabbit with ticking.

rende.jpg

jj2buck.jpg

jackie.jpg

Thanks Devon== I was waiting for you, too. Just helps to confirm "Tucker' was a blue otter, as is his son. With the picture you included, maybe Junior is not "poor' but I am not sure that I want to mess with markings in my mini rex. There are enough shading and pattern issues with the AmChins. And i dont like the stray tan guard hairs on his haunches. That tells me there are some genetics behind the two that could prove to be an issue later on. Guess I need to find another nice, solid doe with known color background. The dam had nothing but blue, if I remember correctly.

Latest posts

Back