Register

Do long hair rabbits make good skins?

Keeping rabbits for their wool and methods of using it.
Site Supporter
6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 32,358.00

Re: Do long hair rabbits make good skins?

Post Number:#16  Unread postby Zass » Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:53 am

Ah nice :)

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 3,610.00

Post Number:#17  Unread postby SarahMelisse » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:48 am

PSFAngoras wrote:Well, I've got proof that it can be done!

The nasty chocolate doe that I culled was just at that perfect stage of molt where most of the undercoat had gone already everywhere but the skirt, and the guard hairs had already come back where she was done molting, so there wasn't as much as usual to risk matting.

The wool is still a bit greasy from working the hide, but it was all I had the energy to do tonight. Just finished it, and if y'all like I can try to get better pics tomorrow. The small coffee can is in there for size comparison. This girl was already the size of my 2 y.o. bucks at only six months old. Luckily, I told her breeder about what happened and she has more chocolate litters coming up. She offered one for free as a replacement, but I know it wasn't her fault and the care that goes into each animal, so I told her I'd be happy to trade my chin kit for another chocolate, instead of a freebie.

Wow! It looks great! Your picture makes me want to rush out and do mine too. I'll get there one day... once I finish procrastinating. ;)
Frühlingskabine Micro-Farm
French Angora Rabbits
Northern California
www.fmicrofarm.com

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 48,829.00

Post Number:#18  Unread postby skysthelimit » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:58 am

I finally culled the himi doe and the pelt is in the bucket, She molted right before I culled her but there is still some length left.
German Shepherds*Rush Hour Rabbitry*Rex *Jersey Wooly*French Angora
http://www.foursquaremicrofarm.us

BunnyBucks: 632.00

Post Number:#19  Unread postby concreteblonde » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:35 am

I was grooming my buck today and my husband made a suggestion.

He said that what I needed was to get a big bunch of duct tape and as I comb it out, stick it to the tape and then cut my patterns out of the tape.

I just gave him a dirty look.

Site Supporter
6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 7,528.00

Post Number:#20  Unread postby PSFAngoras » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:35 am

:P

Sometimes I just don't think the other halfs understand. My DH is usually very patient and understanding about the buns, though everything that they entail still falls to me. (Feeding, grooming, processing, cooking even, though he'll happily eat them).

Even with that when I told him I need to expand to compete at show better the first thing out of his mouth was "How many more do you need?!" :) I had to laugh. Apparently for all his trying to understand he still doesn't know how this works!
Postage Stamp Farm Rabbitry
*Breeding German Angoras and hybrids*

Post Number:#21  Unread postby concreteblonde » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:50 am

PSFAngoras wrote::P

Sometimes I just don't think the other halfs understand. My DH is usually very patient and understanding about the buns, though everything that they entail still falls to me. (Feeding, grooming, processing, cooking even, though he'll happily eat them).

Even with that when I told him I need to expand to compete at show better the first thing out of his mouth was "How many more do you need?!" :) I had to laugh. Apparently for all his trying to understand he still doesn't know how this works!

My hubby was the same way until I started making some money. OH, then he changed his tune! It was no longer a hobby. I'm serious. I only advertised for a week. Got so many phone calls after I sold out I've got a notebook with customers waiting.

Now, I haven't even bred my angoras yet. All I've bred are the Florida Whites. Even had a guy come clear from CA to buy a rabbit and if I'd had more he would have bought them. I only had one buck available.

But yeah, they just don't get it until they see dollars for some reason.

Site Supporter
BunnyBucks: 7,528.00

Post Number:#22  Unread postby PSFAngoras » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:20 am

Oh he's seen the money from them! He knows they earn quite a bit of their keep. He just isn't quite the farm boy yet. I'm working on him, and he's slowly coming around, but these things take time. :) (He's mentioned he's even thought about getting his own horse, I was a bit shocked on that one!)
Postage Stamp Farm Rabbitry
*Breeding German Angoras and hybrids*

Post Number:#23  Unread postby concreteblonde » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:27 pm

PSFAngoras wrote:Oh he's seen the money from them! He knows they earn quite a bit of their keep. He just isn't quite the farm boy yet. I'm working on him, and he's slowly coming around, but these things take time. :) (He's mentioned he's even thought about getting his own horse, I was a bit shocked on that one!)

Wow, a horse? You must be rubbing off on him. But remind him that they eat a lot more than a herd of rabbits.

Previous