Question on Harlequin Breeding

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Massey

Reaction score
I have a Black Japanese Buck whose momma is a Chocolate Magpie. How will this affect my breeding program for show quality Japs. I guess this will also answer my question about breeding my Lilac Magpie buck to a Black or Blue Jap doe. I will not introduce an outside breed for type and such. I also know you don't want any White on your Japs either. I have never been able to wrap my head around the genetics so if somebody can give it to me in a way i can get it I would be most greatful.

Thank You
John Massey
Abundantly Blessed Rabbitry

As far as white on your japanese.... it is mostly due to a "white spotting" gene or modifier gene. This is a really tricky one because it doesn't always show up so you don't know if your rabbits have it or not until suddenly there is a japanese kit with a white foot. Sadly, it is REALLY common, and if you have a limited population to draw from, you may not be able to immediately cull all parents and siblings when it does show up.

The main problem with crossing magpie to japanese is that the magpie can easily carry that white spotting gene without anyone being aware since their feet are white anyway! If your japanese *aren't* carrying the white spotting gene, you don't want to accidentally introduce it. On the other hand, most japanese that I've seen or bought seem to have it pop up every few generations, so there is a good chance everyone's got it :(

The second issue is that magpie is created from more recessive genes, so if you cross two japanese who are carriers there may be magpies in the litter. Not a problem unless you are trying to produce only japanese... According to the genetics, there should not be any japanese in a magpie x magpie cross since the recessive colour can't hide the dominant, but there will always be people who claim it has happened :shrug:

Back