chocolate french angora rabbits( questions on color)

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was a warm day,, so i blew out some of the rabbit coats... So i took some pics
Here are my junior chocolate rabbits... they all wanted to breed..I breed one. A white german with a white french..

sq11ld.jpg

28iub03.jpg

__________ Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:09 am __________

I love chocolate rabbits
I have a question.. I was wondering once they loose the baby fur... Will it come in darker.. More guard hairs? .. If i breed two chocolate together... I should only get chocolate and maybe liliac .. even tho there background has no chocolate.

Cannot help you on the colour change but If you breed two chocolate you will only get chocolate varieties. Mostly you should get self chocolate and if the parents carry dilute you could get dilute chocolate (AKA lilac) if the parents carry non extension you could get chocolate torts and if they have shaded or chinchilla you could get chocolate varieties of these.

Since both parents are self, 75% of the litter should be self chocolate and only 25% chocolate siamese sable, which just happens to be one of my favourite colours :) I was looking forward to pictures :p

ok.. let me get this straight... the mother is a Rew.. that through chin, chocolate,blue tort, and another lighter color.. dad was a blue tort... I am looking for pure chocolate.. I will mostly get other colors than what i am NOT looking for ... right?<br /><br />__________ Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:08 am __________<br /><br />ACTUALLY I THINK THEY ARE FROM THE Agouti Group..Is that right DOOD? because of the other colors that i got ..

The baby coats should molt out to have more guard hair, or at least I know all of mine do.

As far as the color darkening, that depends on the rabbit. I have noticed a lot of mine darken considerably in the face, ears, and paws, but the coat itself doesn't change color much. The face on your kits looks pretty dark for a chocolate already (not too dark, just what an adult chocolate should look like), so I wouldn't expect the color to change much on them.

You are correct. If they have all those recessives then you won't be getting 75% self chocolate :(

I don't think they are agouti

Genetically you need a buck and doe with the following genotype - aa bb CC DD EE - to product self chocolate 100% of the time.

It's called "breeding true" and unfortunately I am finding it VERY rare in rabbits, even those that only come in 1 colour (cough) American Chinchilla (cough) Silver Fox (cough) :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back