Do rabbits growl or purr?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LBMBarbalooski

Reaction score
I haven't been a rabbit raiser for very long but I remember watching a video on rabbit care recently where they were saying rabbit have a sort of purr they do with their teeth when they are content. I couldn't hear it on the video but wondered what it sounds like. My two French Angoras have been making sounds that I'm still learning what they mean. The older one will make a grunting noise and thumps loudly on the cage or floor when she doesn't want to be picked up. Amazing how quickly they learn the words I use. The younger rabbit made a noise three times yesterday that was a cross between a growl and a purr. Not sure if she was enjoying me petting her or mad that I was bothering her. Please tell me I'm not the only one who hears these things with my bunnies. I'm hoping I will eventually figure out what this new sound means for this bunny.

So my question is, do rabbits growl or purr? How do you know the difference?

I've never heard a purr, but I've been buzzed at in annoyance, growled at by momma does, and I even have a doe that doesn't scream, but goes on like a guinea pig when I try to groom her on the days she's not up for it. I know I did nothing to hurt or scare her, she's just voicing her opinion on how she doesn't think she needs groomed that day.

I've also had a Flemish doe that would sing. It was pretty cute.

So my question is, do rabbits growl or purr?
Yes
How do you know the difference?
Body language.

A growl is usually associated with the rabbit tensing up and ready for fight or flight. They may stomp a hind foot or their two front ones.

Purring is associated with the rabbit relaxing and often leaning into the contact. Their eyes are often half open and they may even nudge your hand if you stop.

When I rub my rabbits cheeks they chatter their teeth in a way that vibrates and feels like they are purring. And, I was grooming one the other day and it was funny because if I brushed her around her shoulders and neck she was in heaven but everytime I tried to brush down toward her tail she would raise her head and look at me and grunt growl and stamp her foot at me like she was saying "stop it! I hate that!"

I have a rabbit when i lift her up to comb under her belly.. she growls at me and when i let her back down.. she starts to chew the rug that she is on. She only does this when she dosnt like the position i have her in...

they also do grunt .. and i had one that would whimper

I had 2 does that would "chitter" to each other when they were housed next to each other. It was for all the world like 2 old gossips, heard from far away enough that you could not make out the words.

Oh my goodness! My rabbits talk all of the time! They purr, they growl, I've had them lick me in gratitude when I scratch their back.

I even had one of the young ones scream at me!!!! Scared the livin' daylights out of me. I was filling a hopper in one of the nursery cages and I over filled because I was in a hurry and it was getting ready to rain. One of the kits looked at me and screamed at me!!!

I've got one that pounces at me when I open her cage door. She's never tried to bite me. She always lets me pet her. But she pounces like a cat on a toy and then bounces back away from me. I think if I let her she would play with my hand but rabbits have big teeth!

Latest posts

Back