List of Safe Trees?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Frecs":1xqxr82k said:
Don't even get me started on the absurdity of "scientific" research on herbs and such. If the powers that be don't want us using something, they will create the "proof" that it is harmful. Comfrey has been beneficial browse for like...ever...plus a very beneficial medicinal for humans for centuries. (sensoring the remainder of my soapbox speech.)

Regardless of what some list says -- if your rabbits eat it and don't die or otherwise have negative reactions to it then it is a useful portion of a varied diet.

That's more or less how I manage natural diets here. Obviously things are checked as best I can before feeding but I try not to worry too much over side effects of huge amounts (because no one gets huge amounts anyway). To give you an example.. we have a cotoneaster that hangs over into our front yard from the nature strip. Because it's on council land, we've never touched it but a few weeks ago, I came out the front to see the bunnies munching on leaves that had blown into our yard after a small storm. I had a minor freak out over it because all the sources I'd read said that cotoneaster was very toxic to rabbits. Council land or not, I went out and hacked down as much of the tree as I could manage- seeing as my bunnies were going to die (apparently), I felt justified in some unauthorised pruning of council property. And a few days later.. nothing. Bunnies are all fine. In fact, bunnies are on the sniff for more of the cotoneaster* :roll:

*Not that I'd suggest feeding it as a forage, of course.

Just because they don't have obvious symptoms doesn't make it safe. My dog had no symptoms her blood had been thinned by something until I took her in for spaying and she nearly bled out. 2 surgeries and a week of IV fluids and vit k to keep her alive from what appeared to be a perfectly fine dog. Cedar shavings and the arguments over pine shavings are another good example. It took awhile for people to realize respiratory ailments and eventually through laboratory testing otherwise unseen liver damage came from the harmful oils in soft woods. People are just now recognizing that garlic and onion can cause hemolytic anemia if fed long term at too high of amount. How many dogs died of poisoning by grapes and raisins before someone figured that out? You can't always connect 2 things together or know what's under the surface before an event happens. You might not know why that random doe died while trying to kindle or only lived 8 years instead of 15 years and blame it on genetics or bad luck when it was actually something you fed without seeing any symptoms ahead of time.

Akane does make a good point. To which I would say: what is fed to "feeders" for a few months until butcher can be quite different than what is fed to "breeders" that you intend to keep for years (hopefully). Some things may not be good in the long run but okay for the short term.

akane":9klrplea said:
Just because they don't have obvious symptoms doesn't make it safe. My dog had no symptoms her blood had been thinned by something until I took her in for spaying and she nearly bled out. 2 surgeries and a week of IV fluids and vit k to keep her alive from what appeared to be a perfectly fine dog. Cedar shavings and the arguments over pine shavings are another good example. It took awhile for people to realize respiratory ailments and eventually through laboratory testing otherwise unseen liver damage came from the harmful oils in soft woods. People are just now recognizing that garlic and onion can cause hemolytic anemia if fed long term at too high of amount. How many dogs died of poisoning by grapes and raisins before someone figured that out? You can't always connect 2 things together or know what's under the surface before an event happens. You might not know why that random doe died while trying to kindle or only lived 8 years instead of 15 years and blame it on genetics or bad luck when it was actually something you fed without seeing any symptoms ahead of time.

Perhaps I did not explain myself clearly- if no reliable source (preferably one that lists references) lists something as unsafe (i.e. they consider it safe), I'm going to assume it safe over the advice of a list that contradicts a lot of known safe/unsafe foods. If my rabbits manage to ingest something generally considered to be unsafe, obviously I'd remove the source of it but once it's down the hatch.. well, no getting it back so we might as well try to learn something from it.
Hemolytic anemia caused by sodium thiosulphate occurs fairly consistantly and is proven to be caused by cumulative feeding. Grapes, on the other hand.. do not appear toxic to all dogs, amounts ingested before renal damage becomes apparent (if it occurs at all) vary widely. The causative agent has never been discovered but it seems likely to be something that is toxic only for certain individuals for lack the genes (or having mutated genes) to utilise that food source. Ivermectin is a great example of that- If you tested that drug only on collies, it'd be a wash- almost always fatal in larger amounts and terribly risky. But not every dog is a collie- in fact, collies and collie-derivative dogs (dogs who carry the mutated MDR1 gene) are the only dogs for which ivermectin is high risk. It carries some risks for all breeds but that's to be expected and risks are weighed against potential benefits.
Your examples prove my point nicely for me- some things are just plain old toxic to all and sundry (things like Atropa belladonna) whereas other things vary by species (comfrey) or individual (grapes).

It's tempting to say "well, let's avoid all risk and not feed any fodder that's at all questionable" but that'd be like humans abandoning peanut butter as a food source because some people are allergic to it. And dairy products. And shellfish. And gluten. And all other nuts. And so on and so forth. Not terribly sensible, especially not when we can test for initial tolerance (starting with information to suggest the food source is safe) and then feed as part of balanced daily forage, monitoring for changes* that might suggest problems or intolerances. A sensible, evidence-based approach goes a long way in feeding a natural diet.

*Amount of water consumed per day, colour of urine or any changes there, stools, eyes, muscle tone, hydration and so on.

HareyHounds":3km5lpgb said:
Perhaps I did not explain myself clearly- if no reliable source (preferably one that lists references) lists something as unsafe (i.e. they consider it safe), I'm going to assume it safe over the advice of a list that contradicts a lot of known safe/unsafe foods. If my rabbits manage to ingest something generally considered to be unsafe, obviously I'd remove the source of it but once it's down the hatch.. well, no getting it back so we might as well try to learn something from it.
Hemolytic anemia caused by sodium thiosulphate occurs fairly consistantly and is proven to be caused by cumulative feeding. Grapes, on the other hand.. do not appear toxic to all dogs, amounts ingested before renal damage becomes apparent (if it occurs at all) vary widely. The causative agent has never been discovered but it seems likely to be something that is toxic only for certain individuals for lack the genes (or having mutated genes) to utilise that food source. Ivermectin is a great example of that- If you tested that drug only on collies, it'd be a wash- almost always fatal in larger amounts and terribly risky. But not every dog is a collie- in fact, collies and collie-derivative dogs (dogs who carry the mutated MDR1 gene) are the only dogs for which ivermectin is high risk. It carries some risks for all breeds but that's to be expected and risks are weighed against potential benefits.
Your examples prove my point nicely for me- some things are just plain old toxic to all and sundry (things like Atropa belladonna) whereas other things vary by species (comfrey) or individual (grapes).

It's tempting to say "well, let's avoid all risk and not feed any fodder that's at all questionable" but that'd be like humans abandoning peanut butter as a food source because some people are allergic to it. And dairy products. And shellfish. And gluten. And all other nuts. And so on and so forth. Not terribly sensible, especially not when we can test for initial tolerance (starting with information to suggest the food source is safe) and then feed as part of balanced daily forage, monitoring for changes* that might suggest problems or intolerances. A sensible, evidence-based approach goes a long way in feeding a natural diet.

*Amount of water consumed per day, colour of urine or any changes there, stools, eyes, muscle tone, hydration and so on.

:yeahthat:

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Food/Branch/Branch_en.htm

^
hmHere's a list. I THINK you can trust it. ??

Probly should make sure to wash any branches or leaves from outside, with hot water, thoroughly; (no soap!) to rid them of most of the bugs and parasites which may have already been on them when you find them. Also, they seem not to like any type of branch with even the slightest amount of moss on it, thusly i ptefer to find recently fallen LIVE branches -like after a windstorm- or dead ones with no moss.
-Bless your bunny angel(s) amen.
And thx for reading!

Thanks for the list, dgpalmquist! And welcome to the forum. :hi:

It looks like a pretty good list and it answers a recent question from another new member about beech. :goodjob: I'll cross-reference your link with the other thread.

Here's the link so it's clickable:
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_disease ... nch_en.htm

I dunno about citrus being on the do not feed list. I've fed a lot of that to the rabbits with no harmful effects that I could see. Same with peach branches as well as the peaches themselves. The bunnies never ate the peach pits. However, this is just circumstantial evidence, it's not conclusive proof.

I'd suspect which bamboo species may matter. There's some where you can eat the bamboo shoots - even raw - and others where they have to be cooked and others where you shouldn't eat them at all.

I'm not sure about those scientific sorts when it comes to feed recommendations. Some of them suggest you can feed a certain thing but then suggest that you limit it to a certain percentage of their diet due to the toxicity of it in larger amounts. What kind of recommendation is that?

hotzcatz":1tf8qgg3 said:
I dunno about citrus being on the do not feed list. I've fed a lot of that to the rabbits with no harmful effects that I could see. Same with peach branches as well as the peaches themselves. The bunnies never ate the peach pits. However, this is just circumstantial evidence, it's not conclusive proof.

I'd suspect which bamboo species may matter. There's some where you can eat the bamboo shoots - even raw - and others where they have to be cooked and others where you shouldn't eat them at all.

I'm not sure about those scientific sorts when it comes to feed recommendations. Some of them suggest you can feed a certain thing but then suggest that you limit it to a certain percentage of their diet due to the toxicity of it in larger amounts. What kind of recommendation is that?

I agree with your concerns, Hotcatz, and I admit I did not look at the "do not feed" list because they are pretty much useless. Often only one part of the plant (frequently the seed) is toxic or undesirable.

Example: Queen Anne's Lace (Wild carrot - Daucus carota) is great for bunnies, all but the seeds. And since it is the same species as our garden carrot (which has been selected for certain characteristics over time) that same caution applies to garden carrots, yet they appear on safe lists just about everywhere. :pullhair:

All these lists should include the botanical (Latin) names, but very few do. Botanical names are the only reliable ones to go by for identification.

Latest posts

Back