Heard About The Flat Creek Border Collies?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bad Habit

Reaction score
http://herdsnothoards.weebly.com/1/post/2014/01/flat-creek-border-collies.html
My blog post, it's long and includes photos and news links and a link to a video on FB(I think anyone can see the vid though).

The jist of it - Border collie breeder(with anywhere from 30-100 dogs depending on what you're reading) keeps his border collies outdoors. Animal rights activists are against the dogs being kept outdoors, saying the dogs have frostbite, inadequate shelter, and should not be left outdoors regardless of temperature and shelter accommodations.

And... Discuss!!

I personally don't agree with treating dogs like livestock, but respect others right to have outdoor farm or guardian dogs, and since this breeder is not breaking any laws there is not much to do.

Some people have piped in saying there is straw/hay in the kennels and liquid water (livestock type heaters) and that the puppy houses have, an unspecified, heat source.

As long as the dogs are acclimatized to the cold and have a dry, wind free area to escape from the elements they can often do very well outdoors. I didn't see any dogs missing ear or tail tips, which are often the first areas to be lost to frostbite, and cannot tell if the collies are matted or not but if they are it will greatly reduce their a ability to keep warm.

The dog with the raw nose looks like classic sunburn, and possibly skin cancer, seen in many white skinned and predominantly outdoor animals like barn cats, pigs and horses.

Some of the Shih Tsu's are HORRIBLY matted and she may be in trouble there as any warrants will permit ALL animals on the property to be seized.

I can't see the matting in the photos. I just know that the dogs I've known with that type of hair always looked scruffy and unkempt in the winter, despite being groomed regularly.

A dog breeder is in a tough spot.

Us rabbit breeders can cull any animal that doesn't appear to be in perfect health. (and I'll admit, I do it routinely, as I cannot afford a vet visit of each and every rabbit who manages to have a problem, and I'm fairly positive that I would get fined for "denying veterinary treatment" if I have a healing animal or two on the property that I've bandaged or treated myself.)
Freezer camp spares me that battle.

Also what dood said, again. :) I'm becoming a dood fan I think

I'm under the belief that it would be difficult to socialize and train too many animals, and that there is a general limit to how many animals a person could care for effectively. I'd also like to see some straw in those barrels, but I'm not convinced this person has done anything illegal or overstepped their ability to care for their animals effectively.
I have seen MUCH worse places with far fewer dogs.

Generally those dogs look pretty healthy, and I wonder if there are so many dogs because they are keeping their retired breeders and maybe some rescues as well?

There is straw in the barrels.

I am personally convinced some of the photos released have been altered. Some of them strike me as suspicious. There have been so many falsified reports against this breeder already, I really wouldn't put anything past them at this point.

Latest posts

Back