Rabbit Heads

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Desert Rose Rabbits

Reaction score
So, I'm a bit of a 'freaky eater' by most American standards... I tend to love the things most people can't stand. This got me to thinking about the fact that I'm trying to use all parts of the animal and the only thing really going to waste right now are the heads.

I've been tossing them in the freezer for the dog (the brain is a bit rich for her despite all the bone, so it's a rare treat), but I got to thinking about eating them myself. I know that people regularly eat the heads of other animals; fish, beef, hog, goat, etc. What about these guys? Does anyone think you could get enough from the heads to be worth it?

a while back there was a post about adish made out of rabbit heads, I cant remember what the dish was, but I remember the picture of the heads after they were skinned, and it looked like there was a fair amount of meat on them.
I wanted to give them a try, but my skills at skinning a rabbit head is not very good.so I have gone back
to using the heads as pet food.
you my try looking in the recipe posts.

My dad raised rabbits during the war in Germany to help feed his family. He maintains that rabbit cheeks are the best part of the rabbit.

Schipperkesue":31f11udq said:
My dad raised rabbits during the war in Germany to help feed his family. He maintains that rabbit cheeks are the best part of the rabbit.

My 'step' mother in law is from China and since meeting her 10 years ago I've explored a lot of food. I can honestly say that the cheeks from every animal I've tried so far have been the BEST part of the animal.

I think I'll try making head cheese, or something like that. If I were to try the recipe that was posted, my husband would never eat... I do have to say I'll probably try making it but won't tell my husband what it is. He's not too bad as long as he doesn't see it before it's cooked.

I am curious, though, how easy the head's will be to skin. I broomstick so the heads are already more, or less, removed by the time I'm done with them.

Kitty102":34tixwzk said:
Schipperkesue":34tixwzk said:

My 'step' mother in law is from China and since meeting her 10 years ago I've explored a lot of food. I can honestly say that the cheeks from every animal I've tried so far have been the BEST part of the animal.

I think I'll try making head cheese, or something like that. If I were to try the recipe that was posted, my husband would never eat... I do have to say I'll probably try making it but won't tell my husband what it is. He's not too bad as long as he doesn't see it before it's cooked.

I am curious, though, how easy the head's will be to skin. I broomstick so the heads are already more, or less, removed by the time I'm done with them.

Hmmm, cheek cheese!

If you can avoid completely removing the head when you broomstick, then it's pretty easy to skin it.
If I'm processing smaller rabbits I can do cervical dislocation by hand and those heads remain on the carcass.

Off topic a little but an interesting avenue to pursue.

Locate a "Falconry-Club" you can sell the rabbit heads
for around a dollar a piece. The falconer's use them to
train their birds and as a treat for their bird at times.

Just an idea.

Dehydrated rabbit ears sell for a dollar a piece
as chew-toys in some upscale pet stores.

grumpy.

Oh man!...I need to start saving the cheeks out of my Flemish Giants. The heads on my retired are big, and i've been throwing some good meat away!
I think once i got enough cheeks i would like to try an Indian butter chicken (or something along this line) variant, with the cheeks and ingredients in a pressure cooker. Hmmmm...

Cheeks. Who knew? I'll have to think about that.

We just butchered today ourselves.

I read that recipe with interest a while back. I don't know that I'll try it, but I thought it was fascinating. :)

I have a good friend that makes tamales with the meat from the head of a pig .... wont use any other part. Says its the most tender meat & her tamales are delicious.

The cheeks of any animal are one of the most prized bits. Rabbit, fish, pig, cattle, deer, anything. Look at old recopies for head cheese (souse meat). Of course brains and eggs and, pickled tongue are always good, so plenty of uses for the head.

Lloyd":wo58akhb said:
bucknercrestfarm have you heard of any recipes for ears?

http://hungryinhogtown.typepad.com/hung ... ble_e.html

I think that link might have been posted somewhere on here in the past... It seems very time consuming and only worth it if you have quite a lot of ears ready all at once. I'm sure I'd try eating it if it was prepared for me, but I'm not interested in that amount of effort for what amounts to a snack or a garnish that would be gone in minutes! I would also eat the rabbit head pasta dish if it was prepared for me. I can't stomach the smell of livers being cooked, but once they were incorporated into the sauce, I doubt that I would notice.

When I was experimenting with scalding and de-hairing, I found the ears came clean quite easily.

Maybe if I ever have to "pluck" a bunch at one time for some reason or another.. I'll salvage the ear cartilage..

I guess my years of watching Andrew Zimmern have paid off. It doesn't really sound all that bad to me.
I also grew up in Amish country, and head cheese, and stuffed pigs stomach, while I haven't eaten them, were common in
a cook book my mom used. There were six of us, and mom bought beef heart, and tongue, now and then.
I am sure I could at least bring myself to taste. Once I did that, if it was good, I wouldn't have
a problem with it. Back in the sixties, If not for rabbits and a huge garden we would have been in a pinch I am sure.

So has anyone had any heads since the last post? I'm interested in trying the brain cause I used to like brains before the mad cow thing. Also if I just boil the head without skinning it first, would it ruin the taste? I'm thinking cooked fur would be easier to remove.

Back