Angora wooled SF kit...oh, what a mess!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aww, poor Frecs now LOL Wasn't it OAF that posted the video of the screaming kit? She will probably grow out of it ... but you are right, the drama our buns put us through is hilarious once they are past it, just not so funny in the middle of it :p

Rather than a brush use a medium/fine comb. You'll end end picking the mats out like picking gum out of a kids hair.
Gluing small wounds works well, don't use styptic powder though-THAT stings (personal experience)

Brushes don't really work that well on really fuzzy bunnies. Long wire toothed combs are much more useful. If there are mats, then a "mat rake" does a good job of breaking them up. They have razor edged tines that sort of saw through the mats. I find a lot of bunny grooming tools in the horse section at the feed store.

Instead of small scissors, a pair of "embroidery snips" is much better at cutting out mats. Since the blades are held perpendicular to the bunny's body instead of parallel, the snips are much less likely to cut the bunny. If you are using a pair of clippers, then I generally use the #40 blade. Haven't cut a bunny yet, using a #40 blade. That's in Oster, I don't know if all the blade numbers are the same from brand to brand.

The Oster Golden A5 clipper with the #40 blade does well for clipping angoras. A friend brought her Wahl dog clipper over and that worked, although not quite as well. There is the "red German clipper" an Auesculap or some other hard to spell name that is supposed to be the best clipper for bunnies, but I haven't tried that one.

If the bunny's coat doesn't have any guard hairs, then it will constantly mat. I had a NZ "angora" who matted like crazy. He had the much longer hair of an angora, but he didn't have any guard hairs so it would just mat up immediately. He eventually went to someone else since his coat was way more work than a true angora.

I think Super Glue was originally made as a skin glue, which might explain why it does so well at it. When using it on wounds, leave an area of the wound open so liquids can ooze from the wound if they want to. JMHO, I'm not a vet.

Frecs":plia3s6m said:
Just yesterday I saw a youtube video about using superglue for closing wounds...and remembered that hospitals do the same thing on humans. I'll be getting some for my rabbit first aid kit for sure!

Glad to know I'm not the only one who has accidentally cut their angora...I mean I "knew" that but when you do it yourself suddenly it feels like you are the only one to ever make that mistake.

Many years ago my little sister(we were 9 & 12 at the time) cut the tip of her thumb off with a huge knife while chopping potatoes for dinner , being latch key kids we were responsible for most of the cooking & house work and me being the oldest was responsible for her .... ugh , she got me in trouble sooooo many times.

She's running around screaming , blood spurting everywhere and all I could think about was "How am I gonna keep this from mom because I'll be the one in trouble not her" .... We tried Elmers glue first but it wouldn't hold then we superglued the tip of her finger back on and in the process stopped the bleeding. She did say it burned like crazy .... Here we are 35 years later and she still has a tiny scar visible.
We finally told my mother about it a few years ago , she didn't believe it until my sister showed her the scar. I always get a laugh when I think about that ....

I'll try to get a picture of Steel Magnolia, my first SF woolie. She is looking good...still a little on the small side but I think wool breeds grow out slower?? But, she is gorgeous in my opinion. I also have one in the growout pen, it is 9 weeks old. There are actually a couple others in that batch that are "sorta" woolie but the one is *very* woolie so it is likely to receive an invite to grow out to maturity to see how it comes along. Their momma has just been re-bred, this time to my FA/SF cross buck. It is definitely getting interesting in the rabbitry!

I need cages in the worst sorta way!!

Frecs":188162da said:
Little Maggie puts up with as much as she can tolerate and then, she pees on me to signal that she has reached her limit.

Oh, that non-verbal communication will get you every time! :lol:

Latest posts

Back