Vines that are safe for rabbits?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LASGSD

Reaction score
I'm working on my colony plan and since I've decided to switch from the open area to the old rabbitry building I hit on the idea of building some planters to hang on the side of the building and planting some vine type things that would serve a triple purpose.

First, it would help disguise and 'beautify' the building.

Second, it would help provide some added shade for the rabbits (building faces south and west).

Third, as the vines grow they would provide a regenerating treat for the rabbits.

I saw a mention of sweet potato vines (I'm already looking into those) but what about things like gourds, cucumbers, beans, peas, cantaloupe?? That way I would be able to harvest some of the products of the vine - making it a quadruple purpose idea!! :) I have grown cantaloupe vertically before - I used pantyhose to form hammocks for the fruits so their weight wouldn't pull them off the vine. Hey - I could do watermelon, too!!

Peas

potatoes are a member of the damn, blank, like tomato vines, poisonous,
other gourd type vines should be fine, like cucumbers and cantaloupe, and bean type vines.

While canteloupe, squash, cucumber and gourd vines will shade the building, the rabbits won't eat the leaves. The fruit of the vine, yes. nibble nibble nibble on the the growing fruits, but not the leaves.

Grape vines would work well. Fast, hardy, and the rabbits will eat the grape leaves. (while not a FAVORITE of my rabbits, they do eat them) We have wild grapes everywhere.

Another thought..what about raspberries? Excellent food for the rabbits, and you :) They grow like weeds, and the canes are quite tall.

Also climbing roses. Buns love rose leaves and flowers.

Grape vines, climbing roses and raspberries are great ideas, Ann. Great greens for the buns. Maybe blackberries too... some of them get really tall.

Peas would work but are short-lived. Pole beans would work if the rabbits could not get at the beans themselves. The bean leaves are fine for them, but the beans should be kept picked or out of reach. A few nibbles would not harm them, but they should not be considered a source of food for rabbits.

Mine adore roses, berry bushes, grape vines and morning glory vines.

Anntann":2vkjfr6m said:
Another thought..what about raspberries? Excellent food for the rabbits, and you :) They grow like weeds, and the canes are quite tall.

Thank you!! I have a TON of wild raspberries bushes along the front of our barn that I have been trying to get rid of. I totally forgot about them!!

LASGSD":3utbq5n9 said:
Anntann":3utbq5n9 said:

Thank you!! I have a TON of wild raspberries bushes along the front of our barn that I have been trying to get rid of. I totally forgot about them!!
:cowboy:
Put some of the bunny berries on them this spring/summer and you'll likely have supersized canes :)

If you want to make a dent in rose or raspberry briers, just put up a quick fence and let some rabbits loose, It was how I kept the grass "mowed" in my rabbet enclosure, let one or the growout pen loose, and problem solved in about 2hr.

Jack":gvcw37n8 said:
If you want to make a dent in rose or raspberry briers, just put up a quick fence and let some rabbits loose, It was how I kept the grass "mowed" in my rabbet enclosure, let one or the growout pen loose, and problem solved in about 2hr.
That is too funny, Jack! Clever! I love it! :p

You will get the state wildlife people so up your hind end....
goats love it, and are one of the few ways of effectively controlling it in some places in the south.

I would go with a climbing rose, grape, Kiwi and berries, personally I'd think the berries would do great, fertilized and pruned all in one.

Latest posts

Back