Ivermectin for fur mites?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frecs

Reaction score
Well, I can't get to the town where TSC is to get DE...one thing after another has hindered me...and continues...and poor Sugar Girl is looking rough. I have got to treat her and give her a good brushing out, again, which will likely leave her completely bald.

SOO... I do have on hand some diluted Ivermectin --diluted to dose dogs for heartworms (from JR Enterprises, it is .05% Ivermectin diluted in food grade propylene glycol). Can I use this to treat the fur mites in my FAngora? If so, ...one treatment or three like I've been reading online? seems like 3 treatments would be a bit much unless each dose is very very small.

dayna":bruy4ksk said:
I use ivermectin. I put a drop in the ears.

Is that a drop of diluted or undiluted? And, if it is fur mites, why put the medicine in the ears? I'm confused?

(I can't get ahold of undiluted ivermectin, either. It's either the diluted or perhaps some oil/essential oil combo...)

I believe that Ivermectin would work regardless of giving it via mouth, ear, or on the skin. I think that Ivermectin is systemic with any application. I could be wrong. I'll have to check.

It should work no matter where you give it. I drop it on the back, but I give it to the dogs orally, or you can inject it under the skin. Very little goes a long way, for pretty much any species. You could touch the needle to the inside of the bottle, wipe the residue on the skin, and that would be enough.

I used revolution for cats on my rabbit with fur mites. But I now have ivermectin and I will use that. From a study that I read recently sub q injections work the best and a round of 3, to catch the eggs.<br /><br />__________ Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:30 pm __________<br /><br />PS DE didn't do any good for my buck witht he fur mites, plus it can be rough on the lungs.

Back