first time owner

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nienieliefie

Reaction score
Hey all! I got my bunny (liefie) 4 weeks ago! A patient of mine gave her to me as a present! She was 7 weeks at the time and I became concerned after reading that they should not be removed from mothers before 8 weeks.

She is doing well and we have bonded nicely, but I have a few questions.

1. I read that they should not get veggies too early and need to know which veggies I can feed her now (almost 12 weeks old) I am currently feeding her a grass mix with mostly alphafa hay and pellets(always available)! 2 times a day she gets half a carrot. She loves carrot time and jumps on the bed for them immediately when the enclosure is opened. I wanna know which other snax/veggies I can give her and how much? (She poos a lot and they are normal according to all info I read and she drinks enough water)

2. I ve trained her to use a part of her cage for peeing and pooing, but when she is out of the cage, she jumps on the bed to play and cuddle with me and I've tried to teach her to only pee on a section with a towel... But she keeps on peeing close to my body or between my pillows! I don't wanna keep her of the bed as I love the time, but I can't change my bedding every day! Any advice?

3. Games! We play with toilette rolls and pieces o carton which she brings onto the bed... What other toys can I get for her?

4. How do I introduce her to strangers? She freaks if new people enter the house and then hides under the bed until they leave... My mom is amazing with animals and she doesn't even want to be touched by her?

Ill have many more questions as things progress! I wana give her the best care I possibly can! She's adorable!

Thank you in advance

1) I've given treats as young as 8-10 weeks, in small amounts of course. In wild, they would be eating what mom eats anyways, and by 8 weeks would be eating stuff in the wild anyways, so I figure it can't hurt them too much. One of the other things I have found that mine absolutely LOVE is cheerios. And celery.

2) All my rabbits are kept outside, so I can't be of much help in the potty training dept, however I know it takes a while to train them.

3) You can get some wooden toys from a pet store for her. I wouldn't do any plastic, as they like to chew them.

4) Rabbits are prey animals. I have a few that don't even want to be touched by me, although I am working with them to help calm them. One of the reasons I don't like getting them from other people much past 10 weeks of age.

Thanbk you for the reply. It is really helpfull. I have another query... I'm leaving for 2 nights and I have 2 options for liefie, I can leave her at home and have someone feed her daily or I can take her to my mothers house where she will stay in the garrage and the dogs will go mad barking and scratching at the door...I think its best to leave her at home, and her cage is 2.5m/1m, so she has a lot of space and toys in the cage... I'm just concerned, because I've left her for 1 night 2 previous times and she is very agro when I get back and gives me attitude for the whole of her first run, but mostly her droppings concern me. When I get back, her first 3-5 pellets are small and the rest are normal. It only happens the first time I get back and after that, all is fine and normal. I've read on many blogs that this happens when the owner leaves... Will it get worse if I leave for 2 nights and not just one?

If you are leaving for two nights anyway, the better option is to leave her at home and have someone come feed her each day. It will be less of a change for her and therefore less stressful.

And as to the smaller pellets, I wouldn't worry about it. As long as her poop does not turn runny or look different then various sizes of normal then she perfectly healthy; just put out with you for leaving her. :)

What Teddy said...and rabbits can be more opinionated than cats! Our rabbits aren't house bunnies, but one of them always gives me attitude (and sometimes a nip) if she thinks I haven't paid her sufficient attention :shrug:

Latest posts

Back