No rust No rot homemade cages!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

icebunny

Reaction score
Hi ALL,

Well I was looking for great ideas for rabbit cages a bit ago and noticed many people have part wood cages that rot from urine or deform from heat and rain or cages that start to rust or hard to move/heavy etc.

I found a Solution!
These cages are easy to make anyone can do it they are easy to move not heavy and roomy for the buns.
The cages are very easy to clean just a quick wipe down for the top part or spray with hose. Does not deform, does not rust, does not rot, and stays very clean and has allot of air flow yet enough protection from sun and rain! You can customize it easily how ever you feel it can be improved on! Plus you can make many levels for one bun or re use a cage and attach it to another etc.

Well I came up with the idea after looking at indoor cages where people use the wire storage squares you can find them at home depot online along with Lowe's online. I simply spray a coat of rust proof paint and zip tie them together. Cut the some mesh for the bottom and zip tie. You can get a full understanding from the pics! We get strong winds out here as well and they have not moved I did have to put a bungee tie just to keep the tops from opening and closing. This reminds me that reaching into get your bun is actually easy and my'n now go the the ledge to get picked up to be let out into the yard! I also added some boxes so the wind stays off them in the winter so they have a hiding place or nest area as well.

You can put all small squared ones on or all large as I did for a large breed rabbit New Zealand buck he can but his head through the large squares but cant get out. I found that buns that are around 2 pounds can get out of the large but not the small. You can match them all around and find the best fit for your bun.

Each square is 14 inches so length/depth/height are 28 inches the ledge is 14 inch deep and 28 long

the ledge is made of thick plastic boards, great for exercise and a rest area they are up and down ALL day plus get out in the yard hours each 5-7 days a week anyway. But this cage would still be good for buns used for meat as well since it allows them to build muscle and stretch if you are into that...

Attachments

• cage2.jpg
    cage2.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 3,715
  • cage3.jpg
    cage3.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 3,715
  • cage.jpg
    cage.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 3,715
  • 2013-09-14 12.50.22.jpg
    2013-09-14 12.50.22.jpg
    340 KB · Views: 3,715
  • IMAG0239_zps41fdbe8f.jpg
    IMAG0239_zps41fdbe8f.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 3,715
I saw this on YouTube. They had the held together with zip ties. My hubby us going to build them for me:)

Yea I had 100 of those panels before I bought several packs of silver and blue. Don't get silver it flakes and rusts. The blacks and blues will not rust unless you let them rub for years and take the powder coating off. I have a few with rusty corners. They lose their appeal after you use them for years. The zip ties loosen or break or you get a rabbit who delights in chewing them off. The holes are too big for kits or for use as floors. You have to count out bar spacing to overlap evenly if you want a certain size cage to fit an area or pan. That generally leads to mistakes and cutting t hem back apart to fix it. zip tying 100 grids takes forever. Plus they are expensive. Finally I could never find a good floor to go with them especially inside. Rabbits chew the typical coroplast floor that is used for guinea pigs where this idea started.

Meet the shelving panel
DSCN0052.jpg

custom cut by lowes to fit 48x30" cages with only 6 pieces.
SANY2270.jpg

Dog crate panels also work great and you can get crates with a damaged door for free or really cheap. My akita has destroyed 2 in her lifetime and when we went shopping for our 3rd crate the feed store guy says he hears it a lot with big dogs. We ordered a more durable solid crate online than what we could get locally. So far so good but no more leftover dog crate panels for me.

I used shelving panels to make a guinea pig cage. If I had enough cash I would use for rabbits.

Back