Good Clippers for Angora Wool

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

feraltydreaming

Reaction score
Good afternoon/evening, everyone.

I am curious if anyone knows of a good pair of clippers that will work on Angora wool. Obviously, the cheaper kind at Pet stores do not work but which clippers (brand and type) do work?

I finished scissoring 3 rabbits today but, if I want to get an even cut, I am going to have to use a pair of clippers. I am legally/partially blind, hence the need for clippers...safety issue for the bunnies. No one was eviscerated today, thankfully, but I would rather not test my luck in this department.

Thank you for your consideration.

Respectfully,
Feralty

I dont shave angoras but do dog and cat grooming.

Clippers can very easily cut through rabbit skin just as easily as fur.

The key is to keep the skin pulled taunt so no folds get picked up by the blade.

A generic store brand should work if you upgrade to a higher quality blade by Oster, Wahl or Andis so pick one that is compatible with those brands.

I think a #10 blade would be the best choice for rabbit fur and be sure to keep the blade cleaned and well lubricated to get the best trim.

Best: Aesculap German Red. VERY expensive. Blades stay cool. Don't overheat at all. Ergonomic. Easy on your hands. They even have a special angora kit.
Very good: Wahl Bravura. But not up to the task if you have more than a few rabbits to do.
One model of Laube works but blades do get hot from high rpm. Have to change blades in the middle of grooming.
I totally disagree about Andis. The 2 speed I got did not work on the buns at all.

I had an Oster Golden A5 with a #40 blade for awhile, but if the coat is very dense, the blade just can't get in there. That was the best of the clippers that I tried, but the others were inexpensive ones. When the coat isn't that dense, the clippers worked, but they weren't worth the bother of getting them out and cleaning them afterwards.

Now I use very pointy barber's scissors and they work pretty well. There's still gonna be scissor work, even with clippers, won't there? I would like to find some scissors that fit a larger hand, most of them seem to be sized for small hands. There is also a pair of Ginger's sewing shears, those seem a bit clunky when used around the rabbit and more likely to cause damage. The barber's scissors seem much more controlable.

An even cut doesn't matter, getting the wool off in long enough lengths that it can be spun into yarn is, IMHO, much more important than what's left on the bunny. They'll grow more fluff soon enough that you won't notice what they looked like after a fiber harvest.

Yeah. My clipper work was when I had German angoras. After I changed to English, there was plenty of density but it was silkier, easier to work with. So I used scissors mostly & only clippers after I had most of the fiber off the bun. . Not to make it even, but to quickly clean up around the tail, feet, etc. I was all about fiber back then. A low production rabbit would not have stayed here long. I had an Oster A5 at first, my old dog clippers. I dropped them & broke them. It cost less to buy the new Andis 2 speed than to get them fixed. But from the 2 times I used it, the Oster was better than the brand new, new blade Andis. Same rabbits. I just refused to give the $$ for the Aesculap and the cordless Wahl's weren't available yet. So I got the Laubes. Still using them.

Back