Can I Read Your Health Guarantee?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bad Habit

Reaction score
I'm rewriting my health guarantee, to make it more comprehensive, and inclusive.

I want to have all the information needed written out in it, but I'm a little stuck in writing it, and somewhat unsure as to what to write.

Does anyone have a health guarantee you can link me to or post here, for me to read over and use as inspiration for my own? I do not intend to copy it word for word, and am hoping to actually have a few to review, so I can be sure to include all that needs including.

Thanks in advance!

I read your current guarantee.

You need a time limit so people don't contact you after a month.

You should have them to fill out a pre-purchase questionnaire and not offer any guarantees if they already own a rabbit or handle a friends/family/pet store rabbit on a regular basis, or are using any used equipment.

You should elaborate that you want to be informed of illness to help treat and are not admitting to negligence .

You should outline what you will do if a rabbit is ill - pay vet bill? Replace with another? Give full/partial refund?

I would put this info up on your webpage
an emailed document covering the basics of rabbit care,

I would cut this out ...
Injuries from incorrect handling or illness caused by incorrect feeding is not covered by our health guarantee.
as people will lie and say they followed all you rules, you should create another questionnaire with non-direct questions to figure out why the rabbit became ill. ie - " when did you notice a change in behavior or health" " what activities did the rabbit do the day before you noticed?" "Did he eat all his hay, pellets and fruit loops?" P.S. the answers should be he didn't get any fruit loops.

I personally don't offer guarantees once they leave the property as I have had rabbits contact disease from peoples existing rabbits within a week of purchase (once was a 2 week rental situation and when I arrive to investigate I noticed their rabbits all had 'P' :shock: second was likely E. cuniculi)

If you read what's written on my website, that's not complete in the least. I got a little bit into it, but wasn't feeling writing it, and wasn't sure what direction to go with it, so went to work on some other areas that needed updated/written. And posted here to be able to read other people's health guarantees for inspiration.

I do have a time limit, I do require that rabbit or body be returned to me. In my old one, it does say that they must quarantine the rabbit for at minimum the duration of the health guarantee. No cash refunds, only a replacement rabbit if they would like one.<br /><br />__________ Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:51 am __________<br /><br />Why didn't he get any fruit loops?! Gosh, Dood, you're so mean :p

Bad Habit":2be53ce8 said:
I'm rewriting my health guarantee, to make it more comprehensive, and inclusive.

I want to have all the information needed written out in it, but I'm a little stuck in writing it, and somewhat unsure as to what to write.

Does anyone have a health guarantee you can link me to or post here, for me to read over and use as inspiration for my own? I do not intend to copy it word for word, and am hoping to actually have a few to review, so I can be sure to include all that needs including.

Thanks in advance!

That is my website, but as I said, I'm rewriting it, meaning I removed what was previously written, and I'm stuck on writing it, and unsure what to write, which is why it's so poorly written right now.

I had some people kill off rabbits through strait up NEGLECT this summer.
(left in a upside down dog crate, on a lawn, for days on end, on a property where no one lived or visited daily!
GAHHH.

The buyer freely admitted all this to me and claims they DID NOTHING WRONG.

I can't guarantee rabbits after something like this.
It's become VERY hard for me to sell rabbits to "pet" homes.

I have actually never had anyone need to use my health guarantee. I had someone report to me that at 6mths of age, the rabbit I sold them ate the buttons off a remote and died that night. And the buck I gave away died within 24hrs, however that situation was particularly fishy, and there was no guarantee on him as I didn't sell him, but gave him to a cavy breeder who I thought would provide an excellent home. He was reported to have bled from the eyes the day they got him, and was dead the next morning.

However just because it has never been used does not mean I don't need to have it written out.

I guess it depends on what all you guarantee. Do you only sell pets or if you sell for breeding: will you guarantee the rabbit if it doesn't produce a litter? Put in a clause that you are not responsible for vet fees if they decide to take the rabbit to a veterinarian. Are you willing to refund or replace the rabbit - under what circumstances?

I offered a guarantee years ago, but I don't like them because people are finicky. My current sales policy is as follows "Rabbits are sold as is with no guarantees of any kind. The buyer is encouraged to check the rabbit thoroughly before purchase. We offer no refunds or replacements. If you find you are no longer able to care for the rabbit, we will take it back at any time after sale."

I'd be happy to help write your guarantee though.

I offer no written guarantee. I'll handle the problem when and if it presents itself. To date I haven't had any problems. My gut tells me that most rabbits that die are a result of disease, accident and or owner neglect. Deaths due to genetics I would assume the breeder would find this out and not breed those rabbits again. Provided you don't sell sick rabbits, neglect your animals or breed rabbit with known problems, most deaths would not be your fault.

Despite feeling I played no role in a rabbits death, I would be inclined to rectify the situation within reason.

I'd almost certainly replace a rabbit if one dies
I'd consider a refund if I couldn't offer a replacement
For vet bills you'd need a judge to get me to pay for that

While I have no written guarantee or policy concerning death, I could and would likely adopt one if anything happened.

I have not written a guarantee for my rabbits. When I was breeding and selling show dogs my guarantee stated it was only valid if the new pet owner vetted the animal within 24 hours of purchase and I would only replace or refund monies if the vet found a problem. Some people do not have a clue and much to my dismay they will also lie through their teeth. I had a woman wanting a refund because a 9 week old puppy pooped in her floor when she got it home. Needless to say she did not get a refund.

I will not be offering cash refunds, I think it says it 3 or 4 times on my website, however... I have made arrangements to refund cash for people who have mentioned the possibility of allergies BEFORE agreeing to buy the rabbit. Then they have 3 days to decide and contact me, and 2 days after that to return the rabbit, safe and sound. Beyond that, it's no cash refunds. You can have another rabbit when I have one available, and they will be put to the top of the waiting list, but will not bump anyone who has already reserved a rabbit.

My previous guarantee/contract went like this:

Rabbit Ear Number:
Rabbit's Name:
Date of Birth:
Sex:
Color:
Purchase Price:
Date of Purchase:
*staple photo(s) of rabbit to guarantee

Although the seller has attempted to make known all available information about the rabbit, the buyer is encouraged to thoroughly inspect rabbit prior to purchase. Buyer will have two business days (date:_____) after the date of purchase to return the rabbit for any reason for a full refund in the amount of $_____. After this time period, no refund will be offered.

The rabbit is guaranteed to be healthy at the time of purchase. Should the rabbit become ill or die within two weeks (14 days) after the date of purchase, the buyer should notify the seller immediately. The buyer will need to return the live rabbit or its frozen corpse to the seller at an agreed upon time and date. Upon receipt of the animal, seller will offer a 75% refund of the purchase price ($____) or a replacement rabbit of equal or better quality (seller's choice). The seller is in no way responsible for any veterinary fees incurred during the life of the rabbit.

The seller will guarantee the temperament of the rabbit for two weeks (14 days) following date of purchase. If the rabbit displays aggressive behavior AFTER receiving a period of three days to become accustomed to a new environment with limited handling, the seller will offer a 75% refund (amount $___) of the purchase price or a replacement rabbit of equal or better quality (seller's choice). The seller is in no way responsible for any injury, physical or otherwise, caused by the rabbit.

Given that rabbits are living creatures, the seller cannot guarantee breeding success. The seller will supply any breeding records the rabbit may have, but will offer no guarantee/refund/replacement should the rabbit not perform as the buyer desires.

The seller cannot make any guarantees on show success of the rabbit. Seller will supply previous show records, if applicable, minus ribbons or awards the animal may have won. The seller offers no guarantee/refunds/replacements on show quality of the rabbit.

It is the responsibility of the buyer to review the supplied care sheet and ensure that the rabbit receives proper care. Proper care includes but is not limited to: a safe, weather-proof, predator-proof cage; good food and fresh water; gentle handling; necessary grooming (including nail trimming).

By signing this contract, both parties are in agreement to the terms listed above.

Seller's Name (printed):
Seller's Signature:
Buyer's Name (printed):
Buyer's Signature:
Date of Sale:
This guarantee expires two weeks (14 days) after sale on this date:

--------------------

You are free to use this word for word with credit to my rabbitry or modify it to suit your needs. I think it is wise to not label a rabbit as "show quality" because some people will have unrealistic expectations. Instead a better name is "show prospect".

Thank you April, that's awesome. I won't use it word for word, as I do not intend to print it and have them sign it, and I don't offer cash refunds at all. I LOVE that you included nail clipping in the grooming care, too many people don't clip nails and it makes me sad.

24 hours is all I offer.
I've been breeding rabbits to pet market sales for 9 years now. Post 24 hours you don't get calls .. or any you do are the result of negligence on the part of the new owner.
if you need to write out a policy make it really clear what you will and will not cover.
No vet bills, no refunds post whatever time frame you choose, etc.

You're welcome! :) I had people sign it so I'd know they had read and understood the terms of the agreement. Back then, I was worried about pleasing everyone. Now it is up to you to check out the rabbit before you buy it to be sure its exactly what you want because once you pay for it and leave, I won't refund your money or give you a replacement.

These days if I do sell a pet, I spend a lot of time covering what rabbits need. I do demonstrations on how to pick up and hold a rabbit, how to trim its nails, how to check teeth....so many people just throw food and water in the cage and they are done. Although I do eat many of my rabbits, I still feel like they deserve the best life possible until that time.

Back