started a colony

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AprilW

Reaction score
As of this week my rabbits are no longer in their hutches, they are in my barn with the chickens - about 400sqft. So far I am loving this decision and the rabbits seem happier (which is big for me). I have 2 senior bucks, a junior doe, and 4 senior does in the colony. No fighting, but my rabbits are pretty relaxed anyway.

I made this decision after a year of dealing with bad mothers. I'm to the point of wanting to try out a different breed but I didn't want to give up my NZs just yet. I know that some people have reported lower breeding production though I am still hopeful. :)<br /><br />__________ Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:02 pm __________<br /><br />And a couple of pictures:

colony011_zps775ec4d7.jpg

colony021_zps2339f97a.jpg

colony024_zps3396a3cc.jpg

Great decision to switch to colony! I've had a colony for 4 years now and love it.

I don't keep my buck in with the does because I was over run with babies, no production problems here. You will want to put some smaller wire around the bottom of your pen as the babies will go right through the chain link. We have 1'x2' wire on the bottom of the pen which keeps them in.

Chicken wire will come later around the outdoor pen. I'm not too worried, because my does are awful mothers and haven't given me a litter since July.

Back