Grapefruit seed extract?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LBMBarbalooski

Reaction score
We picked up our second French angora this past weekend, a REW. BEAUTIFUL. The breeder told us one of her litter mates had gotten worms and died, but she gave the worms a different name that I can't remember. They treated our girl with grapefruit seed extract an an herbal/home remedy. Where do I find this stuff, other than online? What experiences have you had with thus stuff? Is it worthwhile?

Our little REW is only 12 weeks old and very thin. She eats constantly and is active and social. Our older frenchie is interested in her and we are working very slowly and carefully to bond them together. I still keep them seperated since we are on day four together.

Was the word she used coccidia? Grapefruit seed extract is good stuff. Used for many things but that's the first time I've heard about it used for coccidia or worms. I wonder what the other herbal remedy she used. I use Molly's herbal wormer on the goats and I love that.
You can get Grapefruit seed extract at any good health food store. I got mine from Hoegger supply, a goat supply catalog. I've seen entire books written for all its uses, I'm sure you could find a bunch of stuff on line about it. :)

AmysMacdog":32tms2pl said:
use Molly's herbal wormer on the goats and I love that.

Thank you for mentioning this product. I went to the website and I have to say that I am EXTREMELY impressed with her! I am very impressed with her discussion of why it is legal, but incorrect, to say that wormwood products are safe for pregnant/lactating animals. very very impressed. That kind of honesty (with grace) is very refreshing and gives me much confidence in her.

I will be ordering a combo package to use with all my animals since it is a "one formula for everyone" product.

Its wonderful stuff, I make the molasses dough balls for the goats, being careful which formula use and the peanut butter dough balls for the dogs. I've never given it to the rabbits. Has anybody on here used it for rabbits?
Anyway I bought my microscope from Maggidans so I could do my own fecals and so far we've been very happy with it. :)

I'm sure the dogs will gobble the peanut butter dough balls without question. :)

I'm wondering about how to give it to chickens and muscovies? Anyone with ideas? ...I think the chickens would eat it easy if I mix it with eggs or cottage cheese or something. The muscovies may be a bit more of a challenge...

And, yeah, anyone use it on rabbits? if so, suggestions on how to dispense it?

I guess we should have started a new thread instead of :hijacked: this one! sorry LMB!!<br /><br />__________ Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:41 pm __________<br /><br />More to the OP: I have heard of people putting GSE in the rabbits' water as a preventative for cocidia. I think it was something like 25-30 drops per gallon of water?

I had never heard of using GSE with animals. We use it when we start feeling the very beginnings of a cold or other sickness coming on. If we catch it immediately, and treat it aggressively, it will usually just go away.

We use 15 - 20 drops 3x a day, mixed with several ounces of sweet tea. We have never found anything else that hides the bitterness as well.

http://riseandshinerabbitry.com/2012/06 ... r-rabbits/

Grapefruit Seed Extract- 5 to 10 drops GSE to 1 gallon water 2 times a year for 2 weeks as a preventive wormer (I also use this when I get a new rabbit while the rabbit is in quarantine “just in case”).

GRAPEFRUIT SEED EXTRACT- As for worming rabbits, grapefruit seed extract does the job well and is all natural. 10 drops in a gallon of water for 2 weeks..or longer if there is a known bad problem. This also helps to worm them and along with raw pumpkin seeds this mix should clean out your rabbits. I regularly run grapefruit seed extract through their water at least 2 times a year with a few raw pumpkin seeds on top of their food and have never had a problem with coccidiosis. I also use it when I bring in new stock this has many uses as a bactericide, fungicide, anti viral, anti parasitic

oooooohhh....

http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/coccidia.html (their formula includes GSE but is not only GSE...and they "say" it is safe for use with rabbits)

Well, you all are wonderful. This makes me feel much better about using this stuff. Yes, the term used was coccidia. I have always been a big believer in Apple cider vinegar for all kinds of things. Using GSE will be similar. I am interested in the molasses dough balls and the peanut butter balks for the other pets. My doggie loves homemade treats. The cats, not so much.

That neat about the GSE! I've never used it for the rabbits. I still have some, yay! :D
About the Molly's Herbals for the rabbits, I'd like to try that too, I figure oatmeal with just enough molasses for it to stick together into a little ball but I'm just not sure of the dosage.
(GASP :p ) Frecs You have muscovies ducks! Oh boy! I've been thinking about getting some of those in the spring.
Anyway my idea on feeding it the chickens is mixing it with cornmeal a dab of molasses.
The dose is 1 Tablespoon per 6 chickens so you could make 6 portions or make it kinda crumbly and put it in their bowl and hope they share. LOL They are tricky! LOL The instructions didn't mention ducks. We've had ducks before. Hmmm Maybe in their water??? or will they eat bread from your hand, you could roll it up in a little bread into a ball.

LBMBarbalooski":2p2z52vm said:
Well, you all are wonderful. This makes me feel much better about using this stuff. Yes, the term used was coccidia. I have always been a big believer in Apple cider vinegar for all kinds of things. Using GSE will be similar. I am interested in the molasses dough balls and the peanut butter balks for the other pets. My doggie loves homemade treats. The cats, not so much.

Don'tcha just love learning new things? It was a learning moment for me, too. I'd not heard about GSE for worms, either.

Yeah, giving cats a dose of worming meds (herbs) can be a challenge I suspect... fishballs perhaps? :lol:<br /><br />__________ Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:10 am __________<br /><br />
AmysMacdog":2p2z52vm said:
That neat about the GSE! I've never used it for the rabbits. I still have some, yay! :D
About the Molly's Herbals for the rabbits, I'd like to try that too, I figure oatmeal with just enough molasses for it to stick together into a little ball but I'm just not sure of the dosage.
(GASP :p ) Frecs You have muscovies ducks! Oh boy! I've been thinking about getting some of those in the spring.
Anyway my idea on feeding it the chickens is mixing it with cornmeal a dab of molasses.
The dose is 1 Tablespoon per 6 chickens so you could make 6 portions or make it kinda crumbly and put it in their bowl and hope they share. LOL They are tricky! LOL The instructions didn't mention ducks. We've had ducks before. Hmmm Maybe in their water??? or will they eat bread from your hand, you could roll it up in a little bread into a ball.

My chickens aren't really good about sharing! Have you ever watched a game of bug football?? :p

Yep, I love my muscovies! So does my mother. They have such personalities. I promise, their carbucles will become attractive to you after awhile. I used to think they were ugly but now I think Big Daddy (my drake) is quite the handsome gent. Putting it in their water would not work at all. They turn their kiddie pool into the nastiest mess from regurgitating their food into the water and then...well...swallowing it again...nasty. I think the bread idea is about the best option...make some breadballs....or perhaps take some of the sprouted wheat, mix with the herbs, add enough molasses to hold the herbs to the grains...ummm...wonder if they would like "sweet feed"???

You can get GSE at any good Health Food Store. I've heard dosages of from 10 to 25 drops per gallon...but I trust Rise and Shine so I'd go with the 10 drops they recommend. As for age... I guess from weanling on up would be safe.

Bug football! :lol: :lol: Yes we love bug football here. I raise kingworms and we teach the chickens to come when called with those and its just plain fun to feed them kingworms (also called superworms)
We had muscovies when I was a teenager and we liked them, since then we've had mallards and pekings. Haven't had any in a while so I thought muscovies just might help with the really bad slug and sow bug problem we have here. I've read they are great at debugging an area and of course I just like them! LOL I think the muscovies have the most personality of the ducks we've had. They were just so hard to find but luckily they seem to be more popular these days. :)

I put GSE in my parrots water if I'm going to be gone all day and can't change the water. Being in a humid climate and the fact that the parrots are outdoors makes me worry about mould/bacteria in the water.

Do you know the concentration of GSE to other ingredients (vegetable glycerin) in the kind you use? I have two bottles of GSE, one labeled “citricidal” that’s 60% GSE, and one that is just plain liquid concentrate, 33% GSE. If I use the wrong one, I fear I will end up either doubling or halving the correct dosage!

pyralisdawn, this thread is from 2013. It might be better to start a new thread on this topic, I don't know if the people that made this are still checking in regularly. Best of luck!

Back