How to know when to start plucking?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paper_crane2

Reaction score
I think that my french angora is ready to start being plucked, but I'm new to this so I'm not sure. How do you know?

When they look extra fuzzy, and you can pull out clumps of hair instead of strans. If you tug and it comes out easily, it's ready.

So compared to other rabbit breeds, when they are in a good, solid molt?

I'm under the impression that most of the wool should come out in clumps, easy to pull, in a 30 min grooming session. Now this is why I shear my buns, because it's been three days, and I've hardly got anything off of Ashford jr. It took two weeks to get half the wool off Ansel, and I still am pulling wool off almost a month. He did not release the coat in a molt, but because of change of food. He has not happy at all, and I had to tug at it. He looks awful and will still need to be sheared at the end of the month. Looks like none of these guys are molters. The himi doe had wool strands all over the cage, I pulled her wool out easily in one grooming session, and she looked naked.<br /><br />__________ Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:59 am __________<br /><br />

Attachments

• Picture 391.jpg
    Picture 391.jpg
    336 KB · Views: 1,102
  • Picture 385.jpg
    Picture 385.jpg
    333.4 KB · Views: 1,102
  • Picture 381.jpg
    Picture 381.jpg
    327.4 KB · Views: 1,102
  • Picture 379.jpg
    Picture 379.jpg