FI F2

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladysown

Staff member
Reaction score
so F1, F2... i know that they mean something about generations.
but that mostly people use them when they are trying to develop a breed, or set a certain standard in their herds right?

Can someone explain this more?

If you see it on a rabbit ped. it means the rabbit isn't purebred. It takes about 4 generations to be considered purebred.I have seen it on rabbit pics in various websites and I think its mostly to impress the pet buyer with "technical" lingo. To me its either a certain breed or it isn't. Of course if its a blog about the development of a certain breed (or new breed) then its interesting.

The foundation of a breeding program is designated F-0. Several animals can have that designation. The first generation is F-1, the second is F-2 and so on. If you breed back to an ancestor, you can have a pretty interesting looking web-- F-O buck over a F-3 doe, a F-2 doe under a F-5 buck, etc....
just remember, if you are breeding to develop a registerable animal from rabbits with unknown ancestry-- using anything with a F number lower than 3 will invalidate the offspring's eligibility. There must be three known generations on the pedigree!!!
Knowing the generation of an ancestor that is being bred back to helps show some people where the qualities that are being enhanced are coming from. It can also show where undesireable traits are coming from.

Latest posts

Back