berries keep hanging off the cage

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My angora has fur in their poop.. I have given them everything I can think of ... the berries keep hanging off of the bottom of the cage floor.. every day I have to knock them off.. Now they did go through a moult.. I groom them every fourth day.. they get bread, fruit,, raw pineapple. hay, bird seed, pumpkin seed, oats,boss,flax seeds. pellets, and Acv in there water.. and I am still getting this problem.

Could be just one of those things. The Wooly cages are worst than the Angoras. My Wooler cages are no where as clean as the other breeds.

M A R,
The cling=ons are a good sign!
It shows that the fur/hair is passing through
an d out the system. Whatever you are doing/feeding
is working for yours and the Rabbits advantage.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Mary Ann, I have the same issue with my lionhead. He's perfectly healthy, just grooms himself well. I wouldn't worry unless you see some other problem.

Mary Ann's Rabbitry":32km48bv said:
I groom them every fourth day.. they get bread, fruit,, raw pineapple. hay, bird seed, pumpkin seed, oats,boss,flax seeds. pellets, and Acv in there water.. and I am still getting this problem.

can i be your rabbit???pleeeeeessseeee

Better out than in.

I take it you have molters? My French cages are clean. The JWs look like little poop ornaments hanging. I'm trying to get a non molting population of JW. The dingle berries drive me crazy.

Yes, sky..... they drive my up the wall. I knock them off every day or every second day.. I hate them. Yes, mine do moult. I wish they didn't. but they do... the younger ones are all clean cages.. it is the ones that are moulting .. are just terrible. I read somewhere if you see that , they have to much wool in there system and they can get wool block.. but because I couldn't get rid of it.. I thought I was going to run into a problem. .it has been all summer like this. Nothing I give them is working. but I guess seeing it come out is better than in.. So I guess I must be do something right :)

As long as you have molters, it will be like this. Nothing is wrong with them, like OtterSatin said, it shows you are keeping their system regular, and it's all coming out. Molters not only molt, but they shed little bits all the time and need more frequent grooming. I hardly ever touch the coat of my French buck. Maybe once every three weeks. The buck held his coat steady for 5 mos, when I switched feeds. 5 inch fiber. His sire was on 8 mos last time I talked to the breeder. I won't touch this buck again, until I get him ready for the shows next May. Or I might, since he blew the coat, I might have to shear in Dec to make sure it grows in right. The doe I am going to cull, on the other hand, was shorn, had a litter in August, and I plucked her a week ago. She had a trail of wool around the skirt, and I knew it was time.

I don't worry about the random dangling berries, unless there are suddenly a lot more of them. That means that the rabbit is taking in a lot more fur.

The dingle berries are a part of wool rabbit life!

I brush them off with a wire brush, or when I do a full cage scrub down every month or so, I move the bunnies and drop pans out of each stack, and take my little hand held propane torch to it. Just be careful not to get the wires too hot and burn through them. It happens sooner than you think!

As far as non moulting lines, if it's your thing, go ahead, but I personally hate having to shear my angoras, so I prefer the lines that do molt.

thanks Psf.. It is no big deal to clean them off.. just every day..I don't like it.

I have the moulting line.. never had the shearing kind.. I don't think here in Canada I can. but I am ok with that.. I don't mind grooming my rabbits often.. I find it relaxing time for me.

I don't know if this will help you Mary Ann, but I use a flat edged trowel to clean mine. I simply run the trowel along the underside of the cage where needed. It gets them quickly. It doesn't make it fun, of course, but faster is better, I suppose.

no. I tried that .. sometimes there hay gets mixed up with there potty corner and the fur starts to stick..I use a scraper for that.. but underneath I just you a insulated glove.. It only takes seconds to do it.. but it gets to be a nuniance after awhile. But I love my rabbits so I will keep doing it. :cool:

That's why I started with the torch thing. Still I find it a little hard with the Woolies, the poop clings and within a week I've got a mass of poop fur to deal with.

Don't worry about the non molters. It's really a show thing, not anything useful to most people. Makes it easier to show a FA that's not going to blow the coat every 90 days. I can go for some time w/o worry,not having to time shows with coat changes, if he was on a regular molting cycle, he would blow the coat right before the big Ohio Mini Convention.

thanks sky.. I don't show.. So it really dosnt matter then.. I do have the time to groom them. I have double my herd since this summer.. As I love the fibre. I cant seem to get enough of it. lol.. It will soon take two days to groom the whole herd if this keeps up.. :D

Did you ever get that blower? How's that working out?

I keep trying to get these guys off the ground. I'm down to three bucks, one of which is a show buck that can't be clipped for fiber till after the show season ends next October!!!! I am throwing tandrums and I'm fiber thirsty now.

The poor Jersey Woolies feel the weight of it, I've been hovering over them and stripping off wool like never. I spins up almost the same as French.

All my efforts are going towards the French (and one Seal Rex) for the next 8 mos. I must have more fiber!!!

I did get a blower for the rabbits.. But not the k9 one. . It dose work good. I use it now and then.. not all the time when I groom them. The cold weather is here now. So I will not use it till spring. The first couple of times.. I was white .. I had to wear a mask . because there was so much dander..

Latest posts

Back