Local Braintanner Looking for Rabbit Hides

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spart

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am a braintanner in Fairfield County, Connecticut. I have everything under my belt from Coyotes to Raccoons to Deer to Squirrels. I have, however, yet to brain-tan any rabbit furs, which I have always wanted to do because of how nice they come out. Nobody around my town or that I know breed rabbits for meat, so I am turning to you guys in case any of you are in the area.

I am not big with dealing in money (just a superficial preference), so I would propose that if anyone in the area is willing to give me their rabbit hides, I can do something in exchange. This "something" can be anything from braintanning every 1 out of 2 or 3 hides to return to you for free ---- or sharing whatever information on braintanning that you want ---- or preserving rabbits' feet for you for free ---- or in exchange for hides I have like buckskin or raccoon or squirrel ---- or anything else you think I can do, just ask.

You can contact me here by PM to discuss further details.

I hope there is someone around who can work with me, I would greatly appreciate trying out some rabbit furs as well as lending a hand in sharing braintanning information or product. Even if you think you live a little while away from Fairfield County, CT, but are interested, let me know anyways, I am willing to drive for a while. We can sort it out. I am now willing to work with any folks from the 48 mainland states and will take shipments.
Thanks everyone!

Hi Spart!

:welcome: to the forum!

I wish you lived close to me, as I would gladly take you up on your offer.

It might be helpful to tell our members what they need to do (and NOT do) with the hides prior to getting them to you.

For instance, is it okay if they are frozen? Should they be stored fur side in or out? What about moisture... I always wet down the hindquarters prior to skinning in order to minimize fur on the meat, so the fur on my hides is wet when I freeze them.

Good luck with your venture! Let us know how the hides turn out!

You're not around me either but to add to what MammaSheepdog said : do you need the rabbits brains/heads or do you have another source? Many people remove the head to bleed out the rabbit, then chuck it.

Hi Spart. Welcome to RT! :)
I wish shipping were cheaper, I think you'd have all you wanted if it was. I know I'd send you mine. :good-luck:

Dood":1pbvavfa said:
You're not around me either but to add to what MammaSheepdog said : do you need the rabbits brains/heads or do you have another source? Many people remove the head to bleed out the rabbit, then chuck it.

I just need the hides. They can be salted or dried, as long as they are raw and preserved any method should do. The reason I did not list all of the details in my original post is because I want to make it short and simple to read. If anyone is interested, they can then contact me and we can go over the details in private.

I might take you up one it too but it will be a while. But love the idea of having someone doing the tanning for me.
Hmmm... Maybe I will start of with blue American rabbits instead of FAs.

Feel free to contact me when you please, as I will be available to work anytime in the future.

I honestly would be willing to ship some hides to you (I'm in eastern PA, so UPS ground would likely be 1-2 day max) in exchange for a few in return, not sure if that's amenable?

I have several in particular I've been wanting to save, that are frozen. I'd be willing to do a super lopsided deal, to. I can send you a crazy amount in return for the five or so tanned. If you think we could deal with shipping, I'd be interested.

I would take you up on your offer in a heartbeat if I wasn't so far away :( but, speaking as one who is inventing brain tanning for herself the hard way, would you do a tutorial for us all?

Please? :all-ears:

Just what you said about pegging the hides to plywood to smoke them will cut my time by three quarters over the way I had worked out to do it.

Latest posts

Back