the fibre on the rabbit is amazing

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ahhhhhhh!!! I am so torn! I read about meat rabbits and i want to get my American blues, i see about FAs and i want them!! Guess the only way to solve this is to get both breeds of rabbits that I want instead of one or the other.

3LilMonkeys":32d3nqno said:
Ahhhhhhh!!! I am so torn! I read about meat rabbits and i want to get my American blues, i see about FAs and i want them!! Guess the only way to solve this is to get both breeds of rabbits that I want instead of one or the other.

Yep, gotta have both! I got one FA doe to see how I'd like dealing with the wool. It does require time to tend BUT no only is the wool fabulous, but the rabbit is so sweet and HUGE!! OMG. I weighed all my rabbits this weekend. She tops out as the biggest -- a good 3 pounds heavier than my Silver Foxes (who are small...didn't achieve senior weight :eek: ). I intend to get more FAs...must have them!!!!

3LilMonkeys":31dg9lj6 said:

I use my (extra) FA's as meat rabbits! At 16-weeks, they weigh 5.5 lbs. and dress out at 2.5 lbs. I only have room to focus on one breed so I chose the FA due to its dual-purpose body type. :mrgreen:

Yeah. I've pretty much decided that if I'm going to go into meat rabbits, the easiest thing in the world would be to put in a little more effort and have a multi-purpose breed like the FA. Wool even off culls, a decent growout rate, etc. Feel free to tell me more about their general awesomeness and your favorite varieties for making knit wear, because I know two knitters who'd love to have some angora wool, especially if I could learn to spin it into yarn. -nods- In the future, natch.

Sarah, do you still use fodder for your buns? (YouTube addict waiting for updates...)
Do you shave them before adding them to freezer camp? Or do you leave them fluffy?

And I think if I do decide to have another breed it will be Rex instead of American blue...idk so many to choose from...lol
:bunnyhop: :bunnyhop: :bunnyhop: :bunnyhop: :bunnyhop: :bunnyhop: :bunnyhop:

3LilMonkeys":32z8eou8 said:
And I think if I do decide to have another breed it will be Rex instead of American blue...idk so many to choose from...lol

They are like potato chips...you can't have just one...

3LilMonkeys":1eac6h4f said:
Sarah, do you still use fodder for your buns? (YouTube addict waiting for updates...)
Do you shave them before adding them to freezer camp? Or do you leave them fluffy?

I DO still feed sprouted barley fodder! It has been fantastic for the rabbits. Nice big, healthy litters and my does recover condition from kindling much faster than when they were on pellets.

Uh oh! YouTube addict huh? I guess I better hop on that and make an update video. (<-- see that cheesy rabbit pun there?!)

I don't usually shave them before they end up in my freezer. Mostly because that would be a huge pain in the bootycakes. I do save the pelts for tanning though. I haven't quite gotten as far as attempting to tan the pelts yet, but they are patiently waiting out my procrastination in the freezer drawer. ;)

I chose the English Angora as it was originally developed as a mid-sized dual purpose rabbit. Since I also want to learn to tan the pelts, I grow out to at least 16 weeks (most of the rabbit we eat is in dishes, so roaster size works just fine for us ... no need for fryers here :p ) Also, the spring babies get sheared when they get their first fubar coat (hate it when the baby coat sheds out, so I just let it go and shear it off!) and by the time they are ready for butchering, there is anywhere between 1-2" of fiber on the bun, well before they are ready to molt, and should make some amazing finished pelts!!!

Latest posts

Back