Rabbit Jumping, is it worth my while?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GBov

Reaction score
My mum was gifted with a Tan (breed, not color) doe a few weeks ago and she has settled in nicely into my rabbitry.

As I need a Tan doe like a hole in the head I have been looking for things to do with her instead of resenting her filling up one of my badly needed cages.

So a breeder I met this week suggested I train her for Rabbit Jumping ans then sell her. She said a good prospect could get me $100.

Is that true? Is a rabbit jumping rabbit really worth $100?

She is really well suited to it and I have her in my double cage so she has to jump between cages to get to her food on one side and her water on the other as a start but I don't want to go to the bother of buying a harness and building a course only to fine its been an epic waste of time.

I think a good Tan no matter what could get you $100.

I have a friend rabbit jumping with her angoras. It's the cutest thing.

skysthelimit":rum5qqcj said:
I think a good Tan no matter what could get you $100.

I have a friend rabbit jumping with her angoras. It's the cutest thing.

She came with no pedigree so I didn't think anyone would buy her unless she went as a pet or a jumping rabbit. She is very pretty though.

Oh that changes things. Do have an idea of what's the going rate for Tans in your area? Comparing her to the SOP, she still might be of interest to someone, even without a pedigree, depending on her type.<br /><br />__________ Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:13 pm __________<br /><br />I would think it would be even more challenging than dog jumping, because dogs really want to work for you, can't say the same about rabbits. I wouldn't do it just to make a bun more marketable, only if I enjoyed it.

I just started looking into rabbit jumping and think it's a worthwhile venture.

It would also go well with the name of my rabbitry (Steeplechase). After I get some time, I want to get into it. :)

More information is findable under "Rabbit Hopping," which is what the sport calls itself. And, yes, it was inspired by horse jumping (steeplechase? my knowledge of equine sports is pathetic/minuscule) as opposed to dog agility. There are three kinds of maneuvers: vertical jumps, broad jumps, and water jumps.

Rabbits in the U.S. must participate while wearing a cat-type harness, not a jacket/zipper type garment, and be connected to their handler by a long leash. Not sure about required harnesses in other countries. A basic requirement, then, is that the rabbit tolerate the harness (we're still working on Parsley with regard to the "tolerate the harness" part...). That would be a real PLUS. Mixed-breed rabbits are eligible competitors in Rabbit Hopping, so the lack of a pedigree shouldn't affect the price; a leash and harness-trained rabbit would be a great "enhanced value" animal, though. :)

2-page brochure here

Canadian Rabbit Hopping Club

good site by a handler, contains links to incredible championship videos

I've read about it and would like to try it once I find a rabbit suitable for it.

I want to teach a couple rabbits too. even if there are no events anywhere near that do it. I was looking at random rabbit videos on youtube several weeks ago and came across an international rabbit hopping competition that was held. It was fun to watch.

Back