Using a Rabbit Wringer, Hopper Popper, etc

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone ever had any luck finding a rabbit wringer used? I am looking into meat rabbits, and this is the way that I want to butcher, but they are so expensive! Trying to figure out exactly how much it would cost to get started. :)

Has anyone ever had any luck finding a rabbit wringer used? I am looking into meat rabbits, and this is the way that I want to butcher, but they are so expensive! Trying to figure out exactly how much it would cost to get started

I had my cousin the welder put one togeather for me. I showed him pictures, gave him dimensions and the website address if he needed more info.

If you back the rabbit in to the wringer then turn them sideways before pulling it works better. Going in backwards you don't get the feet in. Also if you got some scrap angle iron and steel bars a wringer is easy to build and much cheaper.

Ralph":2yvziibu said:
If you back the rabbit in to the wringer then turn them sideways before pulling it works better. Going in backwards you don't get the feet in. Also if you got some scrap angle iron and steel bars a wringer is easy to build and much cheaper.

That is a good tip, Ralph! I will try that next time. Also, unless you have the tools and know how to weld, it isn't cheaper or easier... :)

Sorry not thinking. I grew up with welders and tool and scrap iron around. Just butchered 8 this weekend. Found two of the does preg. So holding the other 8 does (raised in a colony)for a month to see if if we have more. :eek: . Let you know later.

yankee'n'moxie":36p745ac said:
Has anyone ever had any luck finding a rabbit wringer used? I am looking into meat rabbits, and this is the way that I want to butcher, but they are so expensive! Trying to figure out exactly how much it would cost to get started. :)

I cannot imagine EVER selling my Wringer for any reason, so I doubt you could find one used...there is a mild steel version called the Wrangler that you will have to seal with some kind of metal sealant...that one is about $40.

Use this link, go the the Online Store I page, then scroll down about halfway and you will see it there.

There is also a less expensive device that works just as well, The Hopper Popper. Use thislink to find it.

I use a homemade wringer also. Found if you slide the rabbit in backwards then turn them to the side you have less problem with getting the frount feet in the way.

Ralph":4lyn9bks said:
I use a homemade wringer also. Found if you slide the rabbit in backwards then turn them to the side you have less problem with getting the frount feet in the way.

Yep, it does work much better that way and I have since started doing it just that way... :)

How do you bleed them afterward? May be a dumb question. We've only done chickens with the knock-out-chop-head method so far. I'm kind of dreading the first rabbit slaughtering.

RJSchaefer":vs3rmgol said:
How do you bleed them afterward? May be a dumb question. We've only done chickens with the knock-out-chop-head method so far. I'm kind of dreading the first rabbit slaughtering.

You use the Wringer or Hopper Popper, then hang by feet and cut off the head to allow it to bleed out.

I made my own wringer using plumbing pipes and a pipe flange. Works wonders and Cost $12 at the local hardware store. Also included in the price was a pair of clamps used to mount brooms that I repurposed for holding feet.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 3,124
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 3,126
skysthelimit":20uccck9 said:
What is the smallest sized rabbit you can get in it?

Probably about 2lbs, and you might have to hold the head in with one hand. There is also a newer one that is a combo Rabbit/Chicken Wringer and that one you could use the smaller chicken side to do small rabbits with.

I find the stainless steel very appealing, much cleaner than making a wood one. I have no access to metal working tools (or people that have this skill) making one won't work. When I get back to work, I'm planning on buying the wringer and the butcher station.

I ordered mine on July 29 and still don't have it. In September he told me it takes 10 weeks now, and mine would be shipped in a couple of weeks. On October 11, it was going to be shipped the next week...still no wringer. Be sure you talk to him about a shipment date BEFORE you order.

Latest posts

Back