Male vs female as pets

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mandz87

Reaction score
Hello, I haven't gotten a bunny yet, but was wondering what sex makes the better pet. I heard males spray and can get aggressive when they hit breeding age? Anyone have any input? Thanks.

Males can spray, but so can females.

Males can be aggressive but I find females to be the more aggresive gender since they can have pretty bad PMS while the males are just frustrated they are not breeding and may try and breed you or your cat or a favourite toy. Often the males out grow this by 1-2 years old and settle down to be very devoted pets.

If you neuter your bunny you wont have either of these problems as they are caused by the sex hormones testosterone and estrogen. If you wait to do the surgery after your rabbit starts displaying these behaviours the neutering should help but may not stop the behaviour 100% as it has become a habit.

Not all rabbits get these behaviours, my NZ buck does not spray or show studly behaviour what so ever. My American Chinchilla and Mini Lop bucks do not spray but they chin rub quite a bit and will circle me which is a courtship behaviour.

Some breeds are also known to have a 'feisty' temperament and are more aggressive in general. I would not recommend getting a Netherland Dwarf and I have heard Mini Rex and Mini Satins can have quite the attitude. I havent had Dutch in 30 years but in my experience they can be nippy.

If you do not want to neuter your rabbit then I would suggest getting a male. I would try and find a breeder who has males that are not overly studly.

Good luck

If you never plan to try breeding them getting the male neutered should cut the spraying out ? What i was told but none of mine are altered in any way so i have no first hand knowledge about that. I have only maybe three males that spray at all...the rest don't really, but I also had a female that decided to spray @.@ I have nearly fourty at the moment, but working on cutting that number almost in half (fifteen adorable kits :p) Most of my sweeter more friendly ones have been male, lately I have gotten a few friendly does but its still the males that are the little doll hearted ones. If you get them from a good breeder either will probably be fine, but I'd lean toward male since I have had better luck getting nicer males. Heck if you were closer I could have given you one :p<br /><br />__________ Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:14 pm __________<br /><br />
Dood":22ryhcn3 said:
Some breeds are also known to have a 'feisty' temperament and are more aggressive in general. I would not recommend getting a Netherland Dwarf and I have heard Mini Rex and Mini Satins can have quite the attitude. I havent had Dutch in 30 years but in my experience they can be nippy.

If you do not want to neuter your rabbit then I would suggest getting a male. I would try and find a breeder who has males that are not overly studly.

Good luck
I have had almost nothing but bad luck with mini rex, so if you waned one of them I'd look out of state for a breeder with nice ones, and my one dutch is a snot.

All my bucks end up far nicer than any doe. I was actually thinking about this the other day, saying I would recommend a buck over a doe any day.

My favorite bunny, the one who gets to be a pet forever, is a doe...but she's super unique. Most does aren't as nice as bucks...they can get pretty cranky, and all my does EXCEPT Breezy (my favorite) don't really like me. Or anything except pellets. They only like bucks for about two to three minutes every few months.

Bucks are nicer and tend to make better pets. I highly reccommend a buck. :)

I usually recommend a buck over a doe, bucks tend to be more mellow and friendly.

I think bucks are more mellow than does... but I also have an exception! My first SF doe is the sweetest doe I've ever met. She asks to be petted, sometimes hops along beside me when I walk by her hutch, ect.

I wholeheartedly agree with everyone else's comments! And, as I said in my email :mrgreen: I think you need this guy....

Br Bl Buck.jpg

Br Bl Buck2.jpg

The rabbit, not the baby! :lol:

He is super sweet, doesn't spray or act aggressive at all. And, he is beautiful and soft!

My bucks have always been a bit nicer than the does, and only one have sprayed :)

When I raised lots of the little "pet" breeds, I, too, would generally agree a buck is a better pet than a doe.

However, I can recommend either sex in English Lops. They are just too funny, and beg to be pet, no matter which sex they are.

I would say males make better pets if intact, but neutered rabbits would normally make better pets. They get stuck in a kit-like mindset, so they're usually very affectionate and playful. I have a Lion Lop spay who is like a puppy disguised as a rabbit. ;) Maybe look at your local shelter or bunny rescue? They offer rabbits at an affordable price, usually neutered and often wormed/flead/etc. Just make sure to look for original personality. A bunny can warm up to you, but an adult might take months to do so! It's better to go with a bunny that's already cuddly.

I would argue that Mini Rex do make good pets, though. Not for younger kits--too jumpy--but for an older kid and up, they're lovely. All of mine except for one shy kit run up to the bit of cage I'm closest to and beg for pets or noms. I'd also suggest Lion Lops, just be aware their ears and fur require more care than other breeds and they can be a little hyper. Mine was a pet at a kindergarten before it came to me because of the USDA freaking out over it running loose in the classroom, so they work for even littles if that's part of the equation.

Good luck with your search for a bunny!

my friend has a doe who is spayed, but she still is really not touchy, or likes to be held.
my bucks have ALWAYS been nicer than my doe.

So... I think bucks are better than does :)

I don't think so:) I've got some really nice does to but I personally just like the bucks and have nicer(friendlier) bucks:) but I think I like them almost equal.(ps this is not to be ment in a snotty or mean way:)
Zass":3bf6apuy said:
Am I the only one with a herd of SUPER friendly and nice does? My bucks are cool, but a bit more standoffish.

I always hear that from people... I never can figure out where they hear that males make worse pets than females though. From my experience, the females go through lots of mood swings. My males are huge sweethearts and practically beg for love. My bucks also don't spray for some reason, so I don't have an issue with that as I know some people do. Spraying all depends on the rabbit I guess.... or maybe I just got lucky. I have a doe who sprays everywhere though.

I have an adult pair of adult Mini Lops that live in the house with me, in separate enclosures. They are my pets & companions :yes:

Neither of them spray thank heavens! I have to agree my buck is much more friendly & loves his forehead patted, where as, my doe doesn't even like to be touched in general. I have to get hold of her & pat her for awhile, before she will start to relax & enjoy it. But she is a sweetie never the less underneath that :)

This is such an open question because everyone has different opinions. But think of it like this- every rabbit has a different personality, some people have had bad experiences with bucks, some with does. Its hard to say which is the better pet based on sex. Like everything in life there's pros and cons to both. They usually act how they are raised. If you get either sex young and pack it around with you 24 hrs maybe there's a chance of it being more hand tame. If you ignore it and don't pay it any attention its not going to give you the time of day. id just suggest with whatever sex you choose spend as much time with it as you can :) the more time the more hand tame in my experience :) if you find they don't want to be held or have behavior issues spay/neuter it first then try getting it an opposite sex friend.Usually when altered males and females are a better pair then female and female or male and male. Introduce them in separate cages side by side for a couple weeks and then introduce them on neutral territory. Hope that helps!!!

Latest posts

Back