When Can You Tell The Quality of The Wool?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paper_crane2

Reaction score
At what age can you tell the quality of the wool on french angoras? Can you sort of tell at 8-10 weeks (before they are sold)?

I start to grade my kits around 5 weeks when their coat comes in, but I don't do any culling until 8 weeks. I still like to hold onto the kits till12 weeks to see how their first junior coats come in to get a peek at how they will turn out, as they seem that if they will change color fairly drastically they will do it then. I once had a kit I could have sworn was a blue molt out into a gorgeous black color when his first junior coat came in, so you never know.

Then again, some lines are bred not to molt too, so that information could all be subject to change with different lines.

But I'd say as a general statement, that yes, you can make a fairly educated guess on how the coat and conformation of the kit will turn out by eight weeks, but you may still end up with a few pet quality too.

Back