Travel cage size?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trinityoaks

Reaction score
I need to make some travel cages for a trio of Cals I'm picking up tomorrow. I didn't get enough notice on these to order travel cages, and I haven't been able to find any locally (or even anything suitable for a reasonable price).

I needed to buy more wire for cages anyway, so I figured I would make the travel cages. How big should they be for full-grown Cals? I need to fit all three into the back of my SUV.

That's pretty short notice for making cages, Trinity. Wouldn't it be easier to borrow a few pet carriers or use cardboard cartons with some hay in the bottom? How long will they be in transit?

Edited to add: Another possibility might be to use a standard cage with a makeshift divisions in it. Just fasten a piece of cage wire into place with wire or zip-ties.

MaggieJ":w3di80zs said:
That's pretty short notice for making cages, Trinity. Wouldn't it be easier to borrow a few pet carriers or use cardboard cartons with some hay in the bottom?
Could I use cardboard boxes? (She says, hopefully. . .) I've got plenty of those (and hay), and it would save me time and cage wire for travel cages that I might use only once in a while. I don't know anyone with small pets--just big dogs.

How long will they be in transit?
The trip is about an hour and a half, maybe two hours at the most.

Edited to add: Another possibility might be to use a standard cage with a makeshift divisions in it. Just fasten a piece of cage wire into place with wire or zip-ties.
Can I put three full-grown Cals in a divided 30"x30" cage like that? I'm not sure I can fit two full-sized cages into the back of the SUV. (My kids are going with me, because we're going to see the lady's goats and chickens, as well, so I won't have any room on the seats.)

Well, Jasper came to us from the other end of Ontario in a cardboard box and he was just fine. Naturally they need some air-holes. I'm assuming your temperatures right now are on the cool side... It wouldn't do in summer heat. I'd take some packaging tape to fasten down the top so the buns don't poke up between the flaps. And as I say, punch some air-holes. People used to use cardboard boxes a lot to move animals before pet carriers became common. Actually, I think the relative darkness helps keep animals calm.

I think that a divided 30" x 30" would hold two for the trip, but it would be awfully crowded with three. Maybe one divided cage and a box for the third?

We used to take David's pet rabbit to the cottage in a wicker picnic basket. That worked fine too. :)

Travel cages for shows are small. They are designed to be close quarters and prevent the rabbits from injuring themselves. A 30x30" cage, divided, would hold 3 adult Cals just fine. My Creme D'Argents traveled in a 12x24" (each) space for a two hour trip home. You do not want the rabbits to be able to move around in a bumpy car - they are very likely to get hurt this way, especially if you have to slam on the brakes!

On the drive to a rabbit show, I give the rabbits hay to munch on. It helps relieve stress. They do not get water. It isn't good for the rabbits to be sloshed with water because even in bottles it does spill (trust me). If the drive to the show destination is over 2-3 hours away, I will give them a water break halfway there. Once we arrive at the show, I offer water and treats. Just to bring rabits home, all they need is some hay.

cardboard boxes will work just fine. Just make sure the lids are well closed. put some hay or sawdust on the bottoms of the boxes for leakage protection (or put them on top a tarp)

I use boxs a lot i always put hay in there to keep them busy and put newspaper and plastic under the box to catch any leaks. When i sell a bunny i offer a box. Its amazing at how many people did not even think to bring something to carry them home in

Back