Companion Housing?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PSFAngoras

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
SO I have a question for you colony people out there.

I have a 6 month old angora doe who has a decent temperament, but no matter what I try she is very nervous around people. I have let my does run together in the yard before, but I am very strict about keeping one rabbit to a cage unless they are young kits just weaned from momma. However, I know that this doe seems to enjoy the company of other rabbits, and snuggles down next to one of my other does for naps in the yard.

So here is my thought. I have a rescue JW that had 9 babies, and I was originally going to sell them all. Do you think that potentially keeping one back (another doe) for the angora doe to be buddies with would be a good idea? Could this potentially help calm her down to have a companion, or would it just cause more havoc? I would like to think it will help, but I don't house them together, so I don't know. I am particularly worried about any dominance disputes, as the angora would likely tear the crap out of the JW. Is there any way to introduce them slowly, so they get along better, or is it just crash or fail? Or is this even a good idea at all? How would it work with the angora doe kindling? I won't be breeding the JW as I really don't like that the dwarf breeds produce peanuts.

Anywho, what are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

I'll share a story of mine :)

I bought Rams, a checkered giant buck of 18 or so weeks. He had some insecurity issues, I tried everything I could figure to get him used to me, I gave the ''spend time in the cage just reading a book and feeding treats" specifically long time. It didn't work: if I picked him up for any reason he would scream i terror, when I opened the cage door to feed him he'd charge at me - not bite, but charging from the far corner and a couple of inches forward, defending himself. He was very insecure, he had a large cage so he could have avoided me, and he tried to as well. No amout of treats would lure him close to me.

I gave him a companion, a young, very social buckling of.. 12-14 weeks? Don't remember. Already the next morning when I fed them, Rams came forward gently and carefully to eat. Quite a change from standing far away and threathening to attack! Just a week or so later I could pet him, ruffle between his ears etc and he doesn't try to hop away or freeze up. I can take him out even though he freaks a bit still. He and the buckling are good friends and have made a great change in his behaviour.
I had the buckling (Dragon) neutered/spayed (I never remember which word for which gender) and even though there's does nearby and Rams meet the does occationally to breed, they're still friends. I have never once seen them fight.
528173_575056189196094_1774674399_n.jpg

So I'd definetly gie it a try with your doe. Maybe have them in cages next to each other for a day but then crash and try - I personally think it makes more damage than good to introduce-remove-introduce etc. There may be some quarrels, does typically fight less intensly but for a longer period of time while bucks figure things out and then it's good.. at least that's my experience. Make sure there's enough room for them to run about, I don't know what size your cages are, but perhaps connect two or three together? If you make small entrances between cages, make sure to make 2, so one rabbit won't guard the only entrance and keep the other from moving about, or cornering it.

My cages are 30x36, and are wire so going and cutting holes is a no go, but when the wooly kit gets a bit bigger I might try to give them play time together in a room in my house. That way I can keep an eye on them and little wooly can get away if it gets to be an issue. I don't like to take them away, reintroduce, and take them away again, but she's only about a quarter of the size of the angora junior and I don't want to see her killed either.

Thank you Zab, I'll give it a go.<br /><br />__________ Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:33 pm __________<br /><br />Crap, now I need to find out who to keep!

hehe, well good luck - for both introductions and picking a keeper :p

You might try a young buck. Of course if you want them breeding fix him. I'd lean more towards a buck. A young doe might change her strips once the hormones kick in. Young is a great way to go. If the young one grows up with the doe, it'll bond better and know who is the dominant one. like it's already been said, space is very important.

Latest posts

Back