How do I clean wood?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guinnessguy

Reaction score
I have had my 6 kits from my first litter in a grow out pen (an empty hole, 30 x 30 + 30 x 10 wooden nest attached). As I'm sending the kits to freezer camp, and hope to use that hole, I will need to sanitize it pretty well. I've noticed that, in the last 2 weeks, they have been using the next, as well as every other open area, as a potty. The bottom of the nest box is wood.

I can scoop out and scrape out the hard stuff, but how would I go about sanitizing it? Soap and water? bleach (yikes!)? Vinegar?

Wood is very hard to sanitize. Can you replace the bottom of the nest box altogether? If not, I suggest scrubbing it well and using full strength vinegar to deoderize. Then set it outdoors in full sun for a few days. UV is a good sanitizer. You might want to use a liner for the bottom of the box in future. Heavy cardboard might work.

If you were to replace the bottom, you might consider not using wood. I have some awesome thin aluminum that is perforated with fine holes, but I have no idea where you would find such a thing, it was a scrap leftover at my husband's manufacturing job. I would think a few layers of hardware cloth topped by cardboard might work, but maybe you can think of something better on a tour through home depot.

I think Maggie's suggestion is best if you're going to keep the wood bottom. Shay put 1" x 1/2" wire for the bottoms of ours. He indented it upward so that I could slip cardboard below the wire for insulation; however, the moms were still somehow able to get to the cardboard. Oh, well... worked well in spite of that.

I put the cardboard over the wire, it stay well enough,
eventually, once the doe is serious out the nest, she will leave it alone

I also keep the wood boxes for that doe, I just soak them to clean them, then spay them will 10% bleach to sanitize and let them dry before putting them in.

Back