Skittish jr buck

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philothea

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right forum or not. I got a new jr Cal buck (Really nice looking) this past weekend. He was a little skittish when I saw him but the breeder said he hadn't been handled (he had over 100 rabbits probably) I really liked his type and it would go really well with my does. He showed me some other jr bucks he had as well (I really had come for a doe but thought I would ask since I was there.) I got him home and he freaked out in the cage I put him in. It was a bigger cage than he had since I was moving stuff around that day so I gave him 'time out' back in the carrier on the back porch until I could get a 24x24 cage ready for him. He is still super skittish, esp if I open his cage. I got him out a little on the table to work on him and trim his nails since he gashed be pretty well when he got home. He is eating and drinking fine. Any suggestions to help calm him down and get him used to being handled?
I have him in outside QT next to the cage with the doe I got from the same breeder. She isn't that bad, a little skittish, but nothing like him. I am just afraid he will freak out and break his back or something. I really would like to show him but I can see him darting down the table or something.

Just takes time. Cover part of his cage so he has somewhere to hide and chill out in. Maybe give him bits of fresh grass to show him you're nice when you visit.
Cali bucks tend to be darn near comatose calm.

No Cali buck of mine has ever been totally calm. I was going to bring him some sweet potato leaves, he will probably freak out if I get anywhere near the door. If wasn't going to be 95F today I would cover his cage a bit. He is not in direct sun. I could put a piece of coroplast on the top of his cage to make it a little darker. Might call the breeder tonight for suggestions as well. I have a red NZ buck that is totally cool in his cage but one time I gave him some 'grass time' in a larger enclosure and he totally freaked out and started running into the size of the dog pen. My American bucks love their romp around time, racing and binkies and all. Just different personalities I guess. All I know is arm guards are mandatory in handling him right now.

Latest posts

Back