Why can't we all jut get along.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2 bun-owner

Reaction score
So I have a doe rabbit that was a sweet little
Thing. She was bred, but produced nothing. She was
A crab but the whole time. Thought she would be better
After she delivered but that's no the case. Tried to
Re breed her and she didn't want anything
To do with my buck. Grunts and kicks when
Running away. Not sure what her deal is. She
Never do this before. Thinking she became territorial
Of her cage. :(

Any suggestions on how I can get her to breed?
I have just her and a buck. I would try others if
I had them.

Always put the doe into the bucks cage, does are territorial.

Try switching cages for a few days, then switch them back. You can also put their cages side by side so they get used to each other, it might also help get her in the mood.

How old is she? She may be too young to breed or she may be too old (least likely)
What does her spine feel like? She may be too heavy with internal fat or she may be too thin
What is her vent colour? The colour you want is dark pink/purple, moist and engorged
What % protein is your feed? Depending on her breed it may be too low or too high (unlikely)

There is a sticky on gauging a does readiness by vent colour

There are a few things you can try. Some of them may seem odd but they are harmless and sometimes help to get a reluctant doe in the mood.

1. Feed sunflower seeds (BOSS) for Vitamin E and dark leafy greens like dandelion for Vitamin A. Both these vitamins are important for both willingness and success at breeding and they can be lost from pelleted food over time. Start with just a teaspoon of BOSS and work up to a tablespoon over a couple of weeks. Start with just a couple leaves of dandelion (unless your rabbit is used to greens) and work up to a nice handful.

2. Add ACV (apple cider vinegar) to the rabbits' drinking water at a rate of 1-2 tablespoons per gallon.

3. Some people report good luck giving Celestial Seasonings Raspberry Zinger tea to the rabbits the day before breeding. We have no proof it works, but might be worth trying.
http://www.celestialseasonings.com/prod ... rry-zinger

4. Take the doe for a ride in the car or place her in a carrier on top of the clothes dryer. The vibration is said to make the doe more receptive.

Good luck! :good-luck:

She's used to greens already. Where would I get
Dandilion greens? I will try the apple vinegar in
Her water and see if that works. What about
The sunflower seed? Boss is a brand im
Guessing?

What greens are you feeding her now?

Dandelion greens grow just about everywhere. Make sure they are clean. Or you can sometimes buy them in grocery stores in the produce section. Parsley is another good source of Vitamin A.

BOSS is just a short form for Black Oil Sunflower Seeds... the kind you feed to wild birds. You don't need a brand name.

Ok didn't know what boss was.
She's getting 1/4 cup greens 2x daily
Along with grass pellets 2x (just switched over
From alfalfa based) daily.<br /><br />__________ Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:21 pm __________<br /><br />Mixed spring greens she's getting.

No, I just switched her with mixing the alfalfa based
Pellets with the Timothy hay. She was this way before
I changed pellets.

Crude protein (min) 13.0%

Back