wwyd? cold pup

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pastelsummer

Reaction score
ok noel is an only puppy. She is chilly to the touch whenever i check her and is inside already with mama we believe she was born on the 23rd of dec and she feels thinner and lighter i worry since she is so chilled she may be 2 cold to eat. i hold her and warm her a couple times a day. but mama is only making milk in the back 2 teats. what if anything should i do?

can you give her a warming pad? Pile straw around her? Give her lots of things to cuddle into? Bring her into the house?

NOTE: I am NOT a puppy expert.

she is in the house as soon as we found her her and mama came into the house. i think she would be dead if she was still outside. she has a pillow in there to keep her off the floor but blankets seem to get shoved out by mama

could she have something wrong with her? if she can't keep warm... I would wonder if there's something not quite right. In the house she should be warm... Can you put her next to a heater? could it be that momma simply isn't milking enough? can you supplement the pup?

thats what i am thinking is mama isnt feeding enough i know if you walk into the bedroom she will walk away from noel and not feed again until later when no one is present that part of why she is in the bedroom away from the main foot traffic in the house

a single pup should be able to get enough milk with very little being produced - you are right she needs to be warm to be able to use the food she's getting

things to try

heat rice bags/snuggle safe pads in the microwave
hot water bottles
heat towels in a dryer and give them to her

make sure you warm her right up many many times a day no matter how you do it
stimulate her frequently - full body rubs with a warm towel or facecloth works best

there may be something wrong with her - or she may just have a mum who isn't using her own body to warm the baby (for various reasons)
puppy can't generate her own heat yet so needs somebody (or somebodies!) help

ok i can help keep her warm i have a bunch of rice packs i make them for family but i was thinking if she is to cold to eat then mama may quit making milk and as for a supplement if i have to supplement her I have heard that goats milk is better if you cannot get puppy formula i dont have goats milk right now but can pick some up if i need to but could i use evaporated milk? or baby formula?

__________ Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:18 pm __________

oh and i have a couple xxs sweaters that my min pin outgrew do you think that would help?<br /><br />__________ Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:27 pm __________<br /><br />ok i fed some milk to her after i got her warm. poor baby hubby was holding her while i made up a couple rice packs and then put them between a folded prefold diaper with another on top. as soon as she warmed up she started crying and hunting for food she was so hungry she ate about an ounce of food then went to sleep after i burped her (didnt know if i needed to but felt i was better safe than sorry) I then put mama in the kennel and locked it so she HAS to keep her warm tonight and when i wake up in the middle of the night as always i will check her to make sure she is warm and fed. I figure if i can just get mama to feed her and keep her warm overnight and a few times during the day i can do the rest this is not the first abandoned animal i have taken care of just the youngest, hence why i am not sure what her tummy can handle and she is a BIG pup she is half chocolate lab from a aussie sized (not breed at least not full) mama so she is a minimum of 1-2 lbs already she wighs more then the min pin but isnt as tall yet. I plan to get her a coat like my min pin and some puppy formula tomorrow or at least make her some. i am not sure if mama is making her potty or not so i will do that as soon as i get up in the morning. I figure i have a few baby slings i can use them too to carry her and keep her warm i will just put them under my clothes. i will hook up the camera and get pics tomorrow so you can see how big she is.

YOU NEED TO PEE HER
seriously, if the bitch isn't doing her job, every time you feed her you need to rub her belly and dip a finger in water and stimulate her to get her to pee
(interestingly you have to do the same to abandoned kits if you are force feeding off the mother or hand feeding, why I prefer fostering, less work)

If you don't pee her, it backs up and poisons her, shuts down the kidneys and they just fade.

ok i am getting ready to do that now. she was in with mama all night but as soon as we woke up and let mama out to potty she went out came in and hid under the bed. I am so frustrated here.<br /><br />__________ Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:23 pm __________<br /><br />ok i am doing everything the vet would re3comend already I have forced mama dog into the kennel to care for baby for about 2 hours now and she will nurse but is refusing to help her pee or poop so i am going to do it now but she is 3 lbs 12 1/2 oz!!! And is only 2 weeks old I went ahead and go tsome formula since i am fairly certian i will be supplementing more and more since the first half hour she was in the kennel with noel she refused to lay or sit down so she could nurse and poor baby was crying she was so hungry! So i am off to let mama go outside and potty and to help baby potty too. i have an appt on wends for annie and the vet said go ahead and bring her in too and he will recheck her. and i can go in when ever i want to weigh her on thier scales.

Oh cool! Good luck with her (I have been waiting for pictures, lol)

I bet she will do ok, even if mama won't care for her. Are you gonna get momma spayed?

Momma is caring for her as best she can

to help puppy pee and poop a warm damp facecloth works beautifully - mimick the action of licking around that area and you will find you have to do little work
dry her well afterwards

I wouldn't use human or cows milk for the puppy - puppy replacer is best then probably goats milk :)

Latest posts

Back