most natural method for tanning?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julz

Reaction score
i would like to keep the pelts from my rabbits and was wondering whats the most natural method to preserve for using them,i looked at the acid method loved how the sinew peeled off easy but dubious about the toxic stuff any suggestions?

If you're worried about how "natural" your process is, use mayonnaise. It's not caveman tanning, but you'll still get a good pelt without the acid bath.

Happy":3hkjaw1d said:
If you're worried about how "natural" your process is, use mayonnaise. It's not caveman tanning, but you'll still get a good pelt without the acid bath.

Mayonnaise??? Seriously? Like...............how? :shock:

Gbov has tried it, there's a thread on it. It's supposed to work well and apparently it's tasty too, Gbov's dog got the finished hides

Kyle@theHeathertoft":1yq59wfl said:
Happy":1yq59wfl said:

Like you're brain tanning, but substitute mayonnaise for brain slurry.

Happy":2zbvil2j said:
Kyle@theHeathertoft":2zbvil2j said:
Happy":2zbvil2j said:

Like you're brain tanning, but substitute mayonnaise for brain slurry.
thanks sounds a whole lot better than acid :) :)

Mayo...that's interesting. Fat free, special brand or just any old jug o mayo?

I've never personally done it, but you could theoretically use any mayo. It's just oil and eggs, both pof which are tannign agents. The preservatives would be helpful in this regard as well.

Happy":253pjliv said:
I've never personally done it, but you could theoretically use any mayo. It's just oil and eggs, both pof which are tannign agents. The preservatives would be helpful in this regard as well.
hi, sorry do you mean these 'agents' are preservatives or is there other preservatives in mayo ingredients that would be helpful?
i could use my own duck eggs? perhaps make my own supply .... mayo contains veg oil...just thinking ,,,any advice on start to finish -up to ready to sew hides/pelts?this will be my first attempt,would be great to make my own mixture if pos!

Ducks eggs and motor oil. Whip them with a wisk you never intend to cook with ever again. Best tanning mayo EVAR! (hypothetically)<br /><br />__________ Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:54 pm __________<br /><br />From paleoplanet:
"I grated about half a bar of soap and added about a cup of vegi oil to about 3/4 gallon of very warm water. Make sure to stir the solution up really well so the soap melts into the water. It was a great option for the hide I was tanning because it was a pretty narly road kill that was super bloated and old. The hide stunk something fierce, the soap solution covered the smell completely and the hide came out very soft. I'd say it's a great option for some of those hides that just won't stop smelling like a corpse, or for someone that's squeamish about brains."

It's getting weird in here.

If you choose to tan with eggs, separate the yolk from the white. The egg white is unnecessary and will dilute your real tanning solution (the egg yolk). For 1 rabbit hide, I would say beat 1 or 2 egg yolks and mix with some warm water (so the hide absorbs it better). Then apply. Using the egg yolk is important because the oil is not the only component you are looking for in a tanning solution. You need emulsifiers, a substance found in brains, egg yolks, and other tanning agents. Emulsifiers allow oils and water to combine and mix (as they usually repel each other).

Normally, just a bunch of oil will not thoroughly absorb into your hide and will also leave a big oily mess on the surface. With water combined, you get the effects of both. The hide can easily, deeply absorb the solution because of the water content, and also evaporate its water content when stretching. This will leave the oil content deep within the fibers of the hide and not on the surface, lubricating the collagen fibers within the hide. This allows it to be so pliable and supple when seemingly "dry".

Brain tanning is the most natural. Mayo tanning....well, mine turned out odd and none will stretch at all...they are doing a weird leaking thing, but no smell and no loose fur...Won't be doing that again.
I'll be sticking with alum.

I just used Helmans mayo and yes, the dog loved them.

Mayo gave me a nice soft hide but a greasy fur, brain gave me a nice soft hide and a soft non greasy fur.

Plus I got to feel like a zombie when I was splitting heads and scooping brains :lol:

But whoever said each animal has enough brains to preserve its own hide was being funny, it actually takes four-ish per rabbit hide instead of just one.

A note on the greasy fur, seemingly saw dust, well rubbed in, will degreasifiy a fur nicely.

Back