Probably a dumb question.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowgirl9768

Reaction score
Can you collect and sell fiber from a jersey wooly? There is a place that buys and spins wool here looking for some one to buy rabbit fiber from. I have always loved jersey woolies and that would just be an added plus to maybe gettig them one day.

Someone gave me a bunch of Jersey Wooly wool...I mixed it into a batch of Angora wool and have been trying to spin it!!! Seems totally legit to me!!!!!!!

You can totally spin or sell jersey wool. Just let people know that its jersey and not angora, as the staple length (overall length, for those non-spinners out there) is quite a bit shorter. Still very usable though, great for blending. Heck, I've spun sheep that's shorter than jersey.

Yes you can, and I have some really nice Woolies, whose staple length is 3-4 inches. Longer than the Alpaca I'm spinning now. They are fluff balls! I get at least 1 ounce, which is about 80 yards of two ply yarn for me. Some have more guard hairs than others, I like the jr molt the best, or off the does. My JW's molt down to the skin, so easy to get off.

Thanks! This is some realy great info! Does any one have some great forums or be willing to walk me through some wool questions?
1. How do you collect wool?
2. What preparation steps much you make with the wool before selling? (We have a large group of ladies who spin and make things from hats to coats to baby blankets out of wool. They have now turned it in to a two story work shop where people can come to buy or to watch to process of spinning). They buy all their fibers locally and gave interest in some rabbit wool.
3. How many rabbit do I need to make a substantial selling amount? I already breed lions and lops and this would only start out as a little side project to make a lil extra cash.

Cowgirl, you should PM me your phone number. I think I only live a few hours south of you. I would be happy to give you a call and talk it over.

Also, I have a momma JW with a litter of 8 right now. I love her to death, but I just don't want to do start on another breed right now. She's not pedigreed, but if be willing to sell her to you with the kits or with at least a buck ( start your own line) kit for a good deal. I could even meet you half way. I also have angoras if you get enough market that you would want a larger fiber producer.

As far as your questions:

I collect by brushing and plucking.

It would depend on what your customers expect to get from you as to how to prepare your fiber

And you would need quite a few Woolies. They don't produce as much as angoras do, so if you want to set up a whole breeding program, you might be good with the fiber demand, but if your looking to only ad a few rabbits you might be better off with angoras.<br /><br />__________ Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:28 am __________<br /><br />Just checked out your blog, ya, I'm down in Canon. There's a show in castle rock I'm going to meet my angora breeder at on November 16th in castle rock. I could easily bring the Wooloes with me then if your interested. That's should be about half way.

I would love to take your doe but I'm not sure I'm ready quite yet... I'm expecting three new litters and I don't know if I even have cage space for that. I was planning on actually selling these litters to get the money to get some jerseys so it might be a good few months before I am ready... I could give you a call when I see what I have and what kinda money/space I will have by the 8th! I am a ver small rabbitry because I am a full time college student (in a vet tech program), have a job, show horses, show dogs, own a cake decorating business, and breed cattle. So I have to take it a day at a time for now... But I am very interested, at some point, getting jerseys. The only thing about angoras is that I sell as pets a lot and I think jerseys have a little more of the pet appeal.

PSFAngoras":38ofmsri said:
And you would need quite a few Woolies. They don't produce as much as angoras do, so if you want to set up a whole breeding program, you might be good with the fiber demand, but if your looking to only ad a few rabbits you might be better off with angoras.

True. It so happens that I have lots of woolies, they are my show herd, but I am not totally dependent on them for fiber. It's a by product, not an ends to a mean itself. I think first molt I got half an ounce, so it takes 3-6 woolies to make one Angora. That's when I decided to get the Angoras. Then most ones, you only get 3-5 ounces of wool every 3-5 mos, and you can see why Angora is so expensive (also it's incredibly soft and warm). I have 4 angoras now, and I don't have enough wool in any quantity to sell yet.

I would agree that Woolies have more pet appeal, I actually end up sending most of my angora kits to the freezer simply for the fact that they don't sell.

I would caution you about selling them to a pet market though. I got mine through someone that way, and my three pound doe had a mat the size of my hand on her. Most people just don't take cage if the wooled rabbits like they need to be taken care of. I actually have turned down sales of my angoras for that reason. A lot of people who want them want them because they are fuzzy and cute, but soon learn what it means to keep that coat in check, and no longer want them or just decide mats are not a big deal and stop taking care of them. Woolies won't be as bad as the angoras, but I would still be extremely cautious who you sell to.

PSFAngoras":304oheei said:
I would agree that Woolies have more pet appeal, I actually end up sending most of my angora kits to the freezer simply for the fact that they don't sell.

I would caution you about selling them to a pet market though. I got mine through someone that way, and my three pound doe had a mat the size of my hand on her. Most people just don't take cage if the wooled rabbits like they need to be taken care of. I actually have turned down sales of my angoras for that reason. A lot of people who want them want them because they are fuzzy and cute, but soon learn what it means to keep that coat in check, and no longer want them or just decide mats are not a big deal and stop taking care of them. Woolies won't be as bad as the angoras, but I would still be extremely cautious who you sell to.

You have a good point... I have had simalure issues with wooly lions....

My Wooly

Attachments

• Picture 214.jpg
    Picture 214.jpg
    310.3 KB · Views: 1,150
  • Picture 220.jpg
    Picture 220.jpg
    308.4 KB · Views: 1,150

Latest posts

Back