My mini rex breeding problem

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randtrabbitry

Reaction score
Are mini rex hard to breed or is it me. I bought a 10 week old breeding pair from Florida last year in March sis brought them home for me. raised them up breed them together the doe had 7 babies 4 were doa and 3 more were alive. Went out 2 hours later mom was dead tried to foster them off but they died. So went out hunting for more does found a 7 week old doe in KC, also traded a cage and some rabbits for 2 mini rex does and some other rabbits. Right after i got the 2 does 1 aborted and died 2 weeks later the other i breed 3 times without luck so Kc doe is ready to breed so i bred her no babies alright try agian. She is know setting at day 34 and no babies if my buck was not so pretty i would have already givin up but he is to pretty to sell so im still trying. O and i know its not him as he is very proven as he is daddy to all my mixed breed babies ive had. He currently has 13 babies in the nest box. ERRRRRRRRRR im getting so mad. Ive bought both babys and adults with no luck. Im on the hunt again to buy more babies this spring or would do a trade right now but most breeder want purebreds.

I have not idea what is causing your bad luck, but I doubt very much it is with the mini-rex breed, per se. They are extremely popular and are often the choice for youngsters raising rabbits... so they can't be too tricky overall. My suggestion is that you try to find some 12 - 20 week olds, well past the weaning stage but not yet old enough to breed. Allow them to become accustomed to your rabbitry, the feed, the husbandry style. Do not breed them too young. And hope for better fortune in the future.

I find my minis are easy to breed, easy to handle.

Must be just plain bad luck going on for you.

If your buck is proven, then you need to either buy a proven doe, or a variety of junior does and wait for them to hit 6 months before you breed them.

Hmm that's really odd for Mini Rex, all the breeders I know have never had a problem with them.

If it's possible I would buy a mature proven doe and ask if she can be bred by the breeder for you. What are you feeding them? The only time I had problems with litters was when the feed mill changed their formula and it disagreed with my rabbits.

Thanks everyone i am needing to vent a little i picked this breed as there hard to find locally now i see i might have bitten of more then i can chew.
I know some of it is due to poor quality and not a good verity close if i did not have 3 young kids i would due the 3 hour trip 6 hours round trip which seams to be were alot of breeders are. Hopefully i can go to a rabbit show this spring. Im hopping to find a proven doe and get her bred before i come home with her but since then i can keep any does out of her. I will also look at 12 week an older. I dont think its there food as all my rabbits are on the same stuff and only my mini rex does are my problem. A few pet stores sell mini rexs but wont give up there breeders name errr would it be bad to buy from a pet store? They come with a pedagree.

It isn't bad to buy from a pet store as long as they're healthy, and if they come with a pedigree you would have the breeder's name when you bought it (and phone number, if that's on the pedigree, most are). You just have to remember pet shop rabbits are usually the breeder's culls.

the pedigree may not be "accurate" though.. just a thought. If you like the look of them its still worth it, just check their teeth and for split P's etc.general health things.<br /><br />__________ Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:10 pm __________<br /><br />also if they have pedigrees they SHOULD have ear tattos, check that they match

I had problems with Mini Rex too. Several of them died for no apparent reason and the rest would not breed. I think that a lot of it has to do with the lines that you get them from.

Emily

Well i got my doe to breed back today 3rd time. One thing i noticed is she would pee out the sperm glob after each try so after the 3rd time i grabbed her and flipped her upside down. hopefully i can get out there and try again with her

I've always had excellant luck with my Mini Rex, tough fertile little rabbits that take a licking and keep on going. Sounds like a run of bad luck, don't give up!!

Latest posts

Back