Favorite breed for dying/spinning?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baylandria

Reaction score
If you spin or dye, what is your favorite breed of angora?

I am going to have one or two just for their fiber :all-ears:

I'm biased, because my French Angoras were AMAZING...and I can't wait to finish college and have a place of my own again where I can have them again!!! The wool is sooo nice, and not having face/ear furnishings was convenient, lol. Plus they were just ADORABLE, for sure personality-plus!!

I did have one cute-as-a-button little English Angora, too...her wool was a LOT "lighter" in feel if that makes sense, plus she needed a LOT more brushing/grooming than the FAngoras...but she was SO, SO sweet. Just a heck of a doe!!!

I'll be able to let you know soon whether I prefer English or French for spinning; they're the only two fibers I've been able to acquire over a search that began in late July.

I have found *no* Giant Angora fiber for sale, and only *one* source of Satin Angora fiber. Unfortunately, the Satin had already been dyed, and I want to compare the fibers in their natural state, straight from the rabbit.

I did find a few photos of Giant Angoras. Well named, those! :shock:

Spin-Off, a quarterly magazine from Interweave for spinners, has discussed spinning angora fiber a few times in the past three years, but nothing in technical depth:

1) "Spinning the Wild," by Judith MacKenzie McCuin (now Judith MacKenzie), in the Winter 2009 issue: a survey of plants and animals traditionally gathered/hunted and spun by indigenous people in what is now North America. She mentions Angora rabbits only in passing but does provide information on spinning an "encased" yarn with fur from almost any rabbit.

2) "Choosing Fiber--Where to Start?" by Diane Lalomia, in the Spring 2010 issue, leads the reader to select fiber before spinning it if she/he has a specific project in mind. The last animal listed is the Angora rabbit, and Lalomia's specifics are a little off ("Three breeds of rabbit that produce angora are English, French, and German rabbits"--evidently Satins and Giants don't exist in her world and "English rabbits" all produce angora...), but the article has an excellent cut-away diagram of the structure of a wool fiber. She also analyzes just why angora wool is so much warmer than sheep wool.

3) "Bunny Love," by Bobbi Daniels, in the Winter 2010 issue: written by an experienced rabbit raiser who lives in Alaska. (She can probably use that angora warmth!) There are terrific photos of rabbits and fiber, and good descriptions of the different coats, amount of guard hair, etc. I find her statement that "[German/Giant Angoras] are the only breed that does not release its coat and must be sheared" confusing, as many English Angoras now must be sheared, and I've been informed that the "true test" of whether a rabbit is a Giant vs. a German is whether the hair releases or not (Giant--yes; German--no).

I had thought there was an article in Spin-Off about dyeing angora fiber, but couldn't find it in the article index. :( Sorry.

So, many English have been bread to not molt? That is interesting! Probably great for a shower, but not someone who wants to use the wool LOL

That is some great information! Thanks!

I have found a REW English buck that I am interested in. I like that they are smaller, as I have 5 small children (old enough to be good with animals while supervised, please no comments about kids and animals! LOL). The Giants are just TOO big for my taste, and the French, while I know are easier to care for, aren't as cute IMO. I love dying sheeps wool, and I am interested in trying my hand at rabbit fiber!

Check with the breeder on whether the buck's family line is pluck-able or must be sheared. A well-known breeder in California has worked and worked for over 20 (25?) years so that show people don't need to worry about their English Angoras blowing coat right before a show. Pluck-able wool for us fiber people wasn't a consideration; she was looking for bomb-proof show coats (so to speak). I get the feeling that using the Angora breeds primarily for fiber--gasp!--is a very minority viewpoint.

The photos of this breeder's rabbits in their huge show coats (what? 9 or 10 inches long?!) are amazing, but it seems like you'd almost have to go in with a GPS system to actually find the bunny under the coat! "Here, bunny bunny bunny!" :)

(If you do find a pluck-able family line of English Angoras, could you please PM me the contact info of the breeder? Thank you.)

Angora is notably harder to dye than sheep wool. It is more on par with alpaca and llama if that gives you an estimation. (Longer dye times and typically yielding a paler color.) I prefer the French as my lines are oversized and very heavy producers of long stapled fiber. They also shed out every three months, eliminating the need to shear, until the summer heat kicks in, and then I only shear once or twice.

Also, my frenchies may be big, but they are complete hams when it comes to attention. It would depend on the rabbit itself though, I would prefer a large, Properly socialized French over a smaller, less socialized English. Not saying English are harder to socialize, just saying it all comes down to the raising and temperament of the individual rabbit.

I have found a REW English buck that I am interested in. I like that they are smaller, as I have 5 small children (old enough to be good with animals while supervised, please no comments about kids and animals! LOL). The Giants are just TOO big for my taste, and the French, while I know are easier to care for, aren't as cute IMO. I love dying sheeps wool, and I am interested in trying my hand at rabbit fiber!

Just so you know, smaller isn't always better when it comes to children. ;) A bunny that can handle being lugged around by a child is usually not tiny...and the larger, tougher animals are less likely to get hurt if they are dropped or if the child trips and falls.

DogCatMom":2ylyhvw8 said:
I get the feeling that using the Angora breeds primarily for fiber--gasp!--is a very minority viewpoint.

Not at all. You will find in reality that most people who show Angoras spin their own wool, and got the rabbits as a fiber source. Generally they have other show animals and decided to show, or caught the show bug afterwards. English that aren't REW are generally show for a year, and afterwards, the color is lost from the coat, and they are no good for show, only breeders and woolers, so there a lot of English woolers available.

I show, and spin, and since I want a bun to have a show life longer than a year, I have FA, who sort of/not really molt. 5-8 months for an 8 inch coat. Best if sheared.

__________ Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:24 am __________

DogCatMom":2ylyhvw8 said:
(If you do find a pluck-able family line of English Angoras, could you please PM me the contact info of the breeder? Thank you.)

Just find someone who is not showing, there are several on the FB Angora page, and Ravelry. They raise only for fiber.

skysthelimit":189e8ove said:
DogCatMom":189e8ove said:

Just find someone who is not showing, there are several on the FB Angora page, and Ravelry. They raise only for fiber.

Thank you! for the tip re. Ravelry. I'm on Ravelry ("BernerCatMom," since someone else who visited there only one time used "my" name :) ), but haven't visited for several months, due to the care-giving requirements of Her (Late) Ladyship Elderly Berner and then the online time for wabbit wesearch. Not on Facebook, but will look into Ravelry! Do you know the name of the group? Are there several? etc.

Dogcatmom, you are referring to Betty Chu. Betty was instrumental in developing the english angoras we have today. The insane high quality of the breed is primarily her doing. She has dedicated a lifetime to it. She does spin and has her own etsy store as well.

English are the most difficult of the angoras to keep groomed, so keep that in mind when choosing one for children to play with. They will be carrying around that animal and destroying the coat as they go. English matts easily and doesnt handle agitation very well. The wool is very fine, very slick and wispy and sticks to everything. For a childs angora, if angora is what it must be, I would highly recommend a giant buck. Yeah, they get 10-12 pounds, but they are docile overall.

Otherwise, get the kids a jersey woolie to play with and keep the angoras to yourself.

I have a molting line of English. I also have giant fiber for sale for the person that mentioned not being able to find any.

lonelyfarmgirl":2n5gviqt said:
Dogcatmom, you are referring to Betty Chu.
Indeed I am; I just didn't feel it appropriate to use her name in this context, when my statements were a lament about the difficulty of finding fiber English on the West Coast due to her diligent work for so long.

Betty was instrumental in developing the english angoras we have today. The insane high quality of the breed is primarily her doing. She has dedicated a lifetime to it. She does spin and has her own etsy store as well.
The photos of her own rabbits are stunning; no question. She has had difficulty with her Etsy listings, though.

I have a molting line of English. I also have giant fiber for sale for the person that mentioned not being able to find any.
That was me; I've sent you a PM. Thank you! :)

Latest posts

Back