Crabby Bunny

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benthere-donethat

Reaction score
My daughter has a 2ish year old, unspayed Hot Tot. The bunny lives outside in a single hutch, but spends a lot of time 'free ranging' with supervision. Over the summer, she's become quite crabby and often growls at and will try to bite my daughter and/or me when we go near her. Before the summer, she was always gentle and sweet. This behavior seems to come and go, but is present enough to make my daughter concerned. I have assumed that it has something to do with being unspayed and is a hormonal response, but I welcome any ideas and thoughts that you might have. Nothing has changed in regard to her care. Thanks in advance.

Hi Benthere-donethat!

:welcome: to RabbitTalk!

Many does get grumpy when they want to be bred. Spaying her may help.

:yeahthat: Does can also be 'grumpy' when pregnant and some are really protective of their newborns so I would not expect letting her have a litter will 'calm her down', it rarely works in rabbits (or any species for that matter)

Since she is 2, I doubt it is a teenage rebellion phase and it might just be her temperament.

Welcome to RT!

You can try spaying but the chances of it fixing her temperament is 50/50. Sometimes it fixes the hormonal behaviors...sometimes not. Sometimes does start out really nice...that one day they just do things out of the norm because they are ready to breed. If she's biting and lashing, I wouldn't feel she is a good candidate for breeding (age also being a major factor) as sometimes the babies start fine....then the cycle starts all over as an adult.

I would probably spay her and see how things go.

Welcome to the forum!!! :) Like others have said, she's a doe being a doe and probably wants to be bred-- not that that will be a solution! ;) However, maybe spaying will help, or bribing with treats?

Latest posts

Back